24 Hour Salad is a creamy fruit salad made with a cooked custard and canned fruit, then chilled overnight. It is sweet enough to be a dessert and a wonderful delicious addition to your holiday table. I like to serve it at Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Easter. It's also delicious served for Mother's Day, Father's Day, or any summer holiday party.
This delicious salad can be made with many other kinds of fruit. I like to add some cubed cantaloupe or sliced strawberries too if they're available.
The recipe is easy to make as long as you follow a few rules. First, be sure that you cook the egg custard mixture long enough. I have been impatient a time or two, and the salad was too thin. The custard has to be thick. It will thicken more when it's chilled, but adding the fruits will make it thinner. Second, be sure to only use canned pineapple and canned mandarin oranges. Navel oranges are too bitter and too tough for this recipe. Tender and sweet mandarin oranges are the fruits to use.
I like to put this salad into a glass serving bowl because the colors of the custard and the fruit are so pretty. Keep it chilled until just before serving, and make sure you promptly refrigerate any leftovers.
- 1 (20 ounce) can crushed pineapple
- 2 (15 ounce) cans mandarin oranges
- 3 eggs
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup miniature marshmallows
- 2 bananas, peeled and sliced
- 3/4 cup heavy cream, whipped
- Drain the juices from the canned fruits and set the fruit aside. Pour the juices into a glass measuring cup. Add enough water to the combined juices, if necessary, to measure 1-1/2 cups.
- Combine the eggs, flour, sugar, and 1-1/2 cups juice in a heavy saucepan and beat very well with a wire whisk. You want to beat enough that the mixture is foamy.
- Cook the custard over medium heat, stirring it constantly with a wire whisk, until thick and boiling. You want to make sure that the mixture is thick enough so the salad will be thick.
- Then remove the saucepan from the heat, stir in the lemon juice with a wire whisk, cover, and chill the custard in the refrigerator until cold, about 4 to 5 hours.
- When the custard is cold, fold in the well-drained fruits, the marshmallows, and the sliced bananas. Then gently fold in whipped cream. Pour the salad into a serving bowl and cover. Chill 24 hours before serving.