Just as an orchid plant is breathtaking, your 28th year of marriage can be a breathtaking time of change in your marriage as your children chart their own course in life and the two of you have more time alone together. As you celebrate your 28th wedding anniversary, reflect on how far the two of you have journeyed together.
Gifts and Symbols for the 28th Wedding Anniversary
There are various items traditionally associated with the 28th anniversary. Though you don't have to adhere to the traditions, it can be a helpful place to start as you make plans for how to celebrate and honor 28 years together.
- Traditional gift: There is no traditional gift for the 28th anniversary.
- Contemporary/modern gift: Orchids.
- Gemstone: Although there is no official gemstone for the 28th anniversary, amethyst, phosphosiderite, and orchid tourmaline all have orchid coloring.
- Color: Orchid or lavender.
- Flower: Orchids. In the language of flowers, orchids represent rare beauty, love, refinement, beautiful lady, mature charm, beauty, long life. Orchids are the Chinese symbol for many children and symbolize nobility, elegance, perfection, and friendship.
Ways to Celebrate Your 28th Anniversary
Think about orchids as you plan your special day. These fragile flowers come in a myriad of shapes and colors, yet only grow under just the right circumstance—just like your relationship. Here are some ideas to consider:
- Plan a picnic near a field of lavender with orchid paper plates and cups
- Use an orchid plant as a centerpiece for your anniversary dinner
- Dinner at an Asian-themed restaurant that has orchids in their decor
- A trip to a destination where you can view orchids, like Hawaii, or Tahiti, or another romantic tropical location
- A luau party closer to home (or a luau in your own home)
Orchids themselves make wonderful gifts, especially when you purchase a living plant. Be sure you know how to care for the orchid though—a withered anniversary gift is less than inspiring! If you don't choose to purchase a plant, you might want to consider buying or commissioning one of these special gifts:
- Plates or cups featuring an orchid motif
- Artwork built around the theme of orchids
- A beautiful orchid society calendar
- Orchid-themed stationery or cards
- Orchid-themed jewelry