By the time a couple celebrates their second anniversary, they are cozy with each other and are happy to have their lives woven together. This makes cotton the perfect traditional gift for this wedding anniversary celebration. Another classic gift for this occasion is china. And you can always spice things up with the official gemstone, color, and flower of second anniversaries.
Second Anniversary Traditional Gift
The traditional gift for a second anniversary is something made of cotton. As a material, cotton is both durable and versatile—two important qualities in a successful marriage. Cotton is also considered to be a symbol of prosperity. Ideas for cotton gifts include:
- Warm or dressy cotton gloves
- Handkerchiefs or bandannas
- Fun T-shirts with inside jokes or messages
- Plush towels
- Cotton lingerie
- Table cloth, napkins, or place mats to go with your wedding china
- Cozy his and hers bathrobes
- High-quality Egyptian cotton sheets and pillowcases
- Cotton cloth or rope hammock
- Cotton paper artwork or printed vows
- Cotton tapestry with artwork or personalized message
Second Anniversary Modern Gift
The modern or contemporary gift for a second anniversary is one made of china. China symbolizes fragility but also elegance and beauty, something to cherish and protect. Ideas for china anniversary gifts include:
- China plates and dinnerware
- Fine china cups or bowls
- China figurines
- Personalized coffee mugs
- Commemorative boxes or plates
- Porcelain wedding ring holder
Second Anniversary Gemstone, Color, and Flower
Given that the gemstone associated with second anniversaries is garnet, it's not surprising that the anniversary color is red. Garnet is undeniably romantic. Its fiery red sparkle is the perfect symbol of a marriage celebrating its second year. As for gifts, you can't go wrong with garnet jewelry (pretty, romantic pieces are best).
The official flower of second anniversaries is the cosmos, which traditionally symbolizes modesty. But for anyone who knows this fun, colorful bloom, it can stand for much more. Cosmos is full of life without being showy. Its simple, honest beauty is sure to put a smile on your spouse's face.
Ideas for Celebrating Your 2nd Anniversary
Taking your cue from cotton, china, garnet, and cosmos, celebrate your second anniversary in comfort, but don't forget to add some romance and fun.
- Plan a Cotton Club-themed evening together and listen to jazz music; maybe even dress up in 1920s outfits.
- Set a beautiful table with fine cotton linens and your wedding china, and share a special meal of foods that you love to eat together.
- Enjoy a cozy night in, complete with a bath (and cotton towels and robes) and plenty of time snuggling on the couch under a cotton blanket.
- Take the idea of a cozy night in even further by spending it in bed, between luxurious cotton sheets, of course.
- Arrange a gift basket with a variety of cosmos seeds, along with a pair of cotton garden gloves and a coupon on red paper stating a promise to plant the seeds together. Or, plant them on your anniversary.