This easy slow cooker pulled pork is made with just 5 ingredients. A pork shoulder roast (or Boston butt) is slow cooked to perfection with onions. The pork is shredded and then it's finished with commercial or homemade barbecue sauce. This is excellent party fare. Just keep the shredded pork hot in the slow cooker for serving, and let your friends and family assemble their own sandwiches.
- Pork shoulder roast, about 4 pounds
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 bottle (16 ounces) barbecue sauce, or 2 cups homemade sauce
- 1 cup chopped onion
- Place half of the thinly sliced onions in the bottom of the slow cooker; add pork and water, along with remaining onion slices.
- Cover and cook the pork on LOW for 7 to 9 hours or 4 to 5 hours on the HIGH heat setting.
- Drain liquid from slow cooker; shred or chop the meat coarsely and discard excess fat.
- Put the pork back in the slow cooker. Add barbecue sauce and chopped onion.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 2 to 4 hours longer. Stir occasionally.
- Serve with warm split buns and coleslaw.
Pulled pork is traditionally served with coleslaw as a topping or on the side, along with dill pickles, extra barbecue sauce, and baked beans. Add a potato salad for a big meal or skip tradition and serve the sandwiches with French fries or roasted potatoes.