Historic U.S. 31 W -- frequently known as the Dixie Highway -- started as a buffalo trail before becoming Kentucky's first paved highway. Today, it's home to the 31W Treasure Hunt / Yard Sale. The annual yard sale spans approximately 150 miles of the historic highway, from Louisville, Kentucky to Nashville, Tennessee.
- Louisville, Kentucky to Nashville, Tennessee
- Approximately 150 miles along Historic Highway 31 W
Dates and Times:
- Second weekend of September
- Thursday through Sunday
- 2017 Dates: September 7 through September 10
- 2018 Dates: September 6 through September 9
- 2019 Dates: September 12 through September 15
- 2020 Dates: September 10 through September 13
Along the Way:
31W Treasure Hunt / Yard Sale Shopping Tips:
- Look for signs pointing the way to church and off-highway yard sales. Not everyone in the participating communities has property right on the route.
- Watch for clustered sales in fields and parking lots.
- Some shoppers in recent years report that Kentucky has a lot more yard sales than Tennessee during the event. If you don't have time to travel the entire sale, prioritize the Kentucky end of the route.
- Study the Highway Yard Sale Shopping Tips and the Top 10 Yard Sale Shopping Tips before you head to the sale. Pack your treasure hunting tools and gear as well.
- September still feels like summer when you're in the south. Wear lightweight layers you can add and remove depending on the time of day, and load your car with an ice chest full of cold drinks. Make sure you've got some sunscreen lotion too.
- Stash some boxes, bubble wrap, and newsprint in your trunk. You may need it to wrap and pack fragile finds for the trip home.
Selling at the 31W Treasure Hunt / Yard Sale:
- If you'd like to sell at the 31W Treasure Hunt / Yard Sale but don't live on the route, call (270) 670-3741 or contact the local Chamber of Commerce in your preferred area. They may know of group sale locations along the route where you can rent selling space.
- If you're selling off of the main route, make yard sale signs to direct shoppers to your off-highway sale. Place them (in legal locations) so that shoppers driving the route from both directions can read them and see the arrows pointing the way to your yard sale.
- If you have property along the yard sale route (or if someone you know does), talk to friends, family, and neighbors about joining forces to have a group sale. It's always better to have more people working the sale -- and bigger sales attract more shoppers.
For More Information:
- 31W Treasure Hunt / Yard Sale
- (270) 670-3741