The Nutty Irishman is a tasty drink that can be made in a variety of ways. Whether you are in the mood for a layered party shot or a smooth and creamy sipper, this is a delicious and easy mixed drink.
Among all of the Nutty Irishman recipes available, there are two common elements: Frangelico and Irish cream. From there, some recipes add the kick of Irish whiskey while others prefer a little coffee. The key to any good Nutty Irishman is that nut-flavored liqueur and the smooth cream.
Below are four different recipes for this popular mixed drink and each of them can be mixed up in just a few minutes. Serve them at a St. Patrick's Day party or simply enjoy one on your own. No matter which way you take it, the Nutty Irishman is a winner!
There are a number of ways to construct this shooter:
- Simply pour each liqueur directly into a shot glass.
- To practice your layering skills, begin with the Frangelico and float the Irish cream on top.
- For a good mix, shake the liqueurs up and strain them into a frosty shot glass.
- If you want an extra kick, add Irish whiskey. Keep the three ingredients equal by pouring 1/2 ounce of each. Shake with ice and strain into a shot glass.
A Creamy Nutty Irishman
Are you in the mood for a slow, smooth sipper? Try this easy cocktail recipe that brings cream into the Nutty Irishman mix. If you enjoy a White Russian, then you will like this drink.
To make the drink, pour 1 ounce each Irish cream, Frangelico, and cream into a cocktail shaker. Shake well and strain into an old-fashioned glass filled with ice. You can also build the drink directly in the serving glass and give it a good stir.
Half and half is one of the best cream options because it is neither too thick nor too light. If you want a heavier drink, go with heavy cream. For a lighter drink, a light cream or even a non-skim milk will do.
A Nutty Irishman With a Whiskey Kick
If you are in the mood for a Nutty Irishman that is a little more potent than the others, add a shot of your favorite Irish whiskey. Keep the proportions even or add a little more whiskey if you like.
This recipe is very easy to make: simply pour 1 ounce each Irish whiskey, Irish cream, and Frangelico into an old-fashioned glass and stir. Whether or not to add ice is up to you.
The Hot Coffee Nutty Irishman
When it is cold outside, you can warm up your Nutty Irishman using this hot coffee cocktail. It is an easy way to spike your coffee and the nutty flavor is a nice background. It's a fantastic option if you are in the mood for an Irish Coffee but want something a little different.
Add as much coffee as you like or go with a freshly pulled double shot of espresso for a real kick!
Top it with freshly brewed and strong coffee, then add a dollop of whipped cream and a sprinkle of grated nutmeg.
How Strong Is the Nutty Irishman?
Baileys Irish Cream (34 proof) is one the most popular brands of this liqueur, so we will use it to estimate the strength of the Nutty Irishman in its various forms. Frangelico is 48 proof and when needed, let's assume that we're pouring an 80-proof Irish whiskey.
In this case, the Nutty Irishman would be about:
- An equal pour of Baileys and Frangelico without shaking: 27% ABV (54 proof)
- An equal pour of Baileys and Frangelico with shaking: 20% ABV (40 proof)
- An equal pour of Baileys, Frangelico, and cream with shaking: 12% ABV (24 proof)
- An equal pour of Baileys, Frangelico, and whiskey with shaking or ice: 23% ABV (46 proof)
- The coffee Nutty Irishman: 9% ABV (18 proof)
As you can see, little changes in the recipe can make the Nutty Irishman as strong or as weak as you want. It is the perfect example of a single drink that can be made to fit the mood of the moment.