The golden anniversary is one of the most celebrated wedding anniversaries, by both the married couple themselves and by their friends and family. And rightly so!
Spending half a century in love with one person is a wonderful statement about the gift of married life.
These are some 50th wedding anniversary ideas and symbols to help you choose gifts associated with the 50th golden marriage anniversary that will be both personal and meaningful.
50th Anniversary Traditional Gift: Gold.
50th Anniversary Contemporary/Modern Gift: Gold.
50th Anniversary Gemstone: Gold or Imperial or Golden Topaz.
- Optimism and wealth are often associated with gold. Not only is the metal gold beautiful, but it is also strong, and resistant to corrosion.
50th Anniversary Color: Gold.
50th Anniversary Flower: Violets.
If you want to give a rose symbolic of the golden anniversary, here are a few to check out:
- Gold Symphonie
- Golden Anniversary
- Golden Beryl
- Golden Celebration
- Golden Future
Ways to Celebrate Your 50th Anniversary
- Use sparkly gold glitter on flowers, cards, centerpieces, gift wrap, balloons, etc. Set the table with a paper gold tablecloth, rent china, and crystal with gold trim, use gold looking votive candles, place flowers in gold colored vases.
- For those in the United States, request a greeting from the Whitehouse.
- Renew your marriage vows.
- Toast one another with a golden colored sparkling wine such as a Chardonnay.
- Plan a picnic with paper gold-colored plates and cups.
Couples Share Their Most Memorable Anniversary
Gift Suggestions for Your Loved Ones' 50th Anniversary
When considering gifts for the 50th anniversary, think twice before purchasing anniversary plates, jewelry, knick-knacks, etc. as many senior citizens are trying to reduce clutter and possessions in their lives. A dinner at a special restaurant, a trip, coupons to help with chores, etc. will probably be more appreciated.
- Plan a romantic getaway to one of your favorite cities. Check out travel deals to Paris on TripAdvisor.com.
- A new flat screen TV for movie nights at home. Buy a Samsung Smart TV on Amazon.com.
- A new set of soft Egyptian cotton bath towels is a gift you can both appreciate. Buy on Amazon.com.
- A programmable drip coffee maker so that you can always have coffee ready in the mornings. Buy the Mr. Coffee Programmable Coffee Maker on Amazon.com.
- A tablet is a great gift because it allows you to stay entertained with various apps and games and to also stay connected with your loved ones. Buy the Amazon Fire Tablet on Amazon.com.
- A new dishwasher to help keep your kitchen tidy. Buy on Amazon.com.
- An e-reader packed with your spouse's favorite books. Buy the Kindle Paperwhite e-reader on Amazon.com.
- An updated washer and dryer model to help keep your home clean.
Homemade Gift Suggestions for a 50th Anniversary
- Put together a CD with songs from the era of the marriage date.
- Create a poem, write it in gold ink, and display it in a gold colored frame.
- Put together a family quilt comprised of each square done by a family member or close friends.
- Make a wish tree. You can use a big branch that you paint gold and decorate with gold ribbons, ornaments, etc. Fill the branches with pictures of major events in your life, people who love and cherish you as well as tickets for a trip, traveler's checks, gift certificates for different events and restaurants you could use on a trip, etc.
- Assemble a memory photo album with pictures highlighting 50 years together. Include the wedding, children, grandchildren, friends, trips taken together; homes lived in, etc. A nice addition is to include stories from children and friends.