The golden anniversary is one of the most celebrated wedding anniversaries, by both the married couple themselves and by their friends and family. And rightly so! Spending half a century in love with one person is a wonderful statement about the gift of married life.
These are some 50th wedding anniversary ideas and symbols to help you choose gifts associated with the 50th golden marriage anniversary that will be both personal and meaningful.
50th Anniversary Traditions and Symbols
- Traditional gift: Gold
- Contemporary gift: Gold
- Gemstone: Gold or imperial or golden topaz. Optimism and wealth are often associated with gold. Not only is the metal gold beautiful, but it is also strong and resistant to corrosion.
- Color: Gold
- Flower: Violets
If you prefer to give roses for a 50th-anniversary gift, consider these symbolic flowers of the golden anniversary:
- Gold Symphonie
- Golden Anniversary
- Golden Beryl
- Golden Celebration
- Golden Future
Ways to Celebrate Your 50th Anniversary
It's easy to celebrate your 50th anniversary—just think gold! However you decide to toast the occasion, make it a golden moment to remember with these ideas:
- Use sparkly gold glitter on flowers, cards, centerpieces, gift wrap, and balloons. Set the table with a paper gold tablecloth, rent china and crystal with gold trim, use gold votive candles, and place flowers in gold-colored vases.
- For those in the United States, request a milestone greeting from The White House.
- Renew your marriage vows.
- Toast one another with a golden-colored wine, such as a chardonnay.
- Plan a picnic with paper gold-colored plates and cups.
Couples Share Their Most Memorable Anniversary
When considering gifts for the 50th anniversary, think twice before purchasing anniversary plates, jewelry, or knick-knacks as many older adults are trying to reduce clutter in their lives. A dinner at a special restaurant, a trip, or coupons to help with chores will probably be more appreciated. Here are more ideas, whether you're buying for your own anniversary or a beloved couple's celebration:
- Plan a romantic getaway to a favorite city. Check out travel deals to Paris on TripAdvisor.com.
- A new flat-screen TV for movie nights at home. Buy a Samsung Smart TV on Amazon.com.
- A new set of soft Egyptian cotton bath towels is a gift everyone can appreciate. Buy on Amazon.com.
- A programmable drip coffee maker so there's always coffee ready in the mornings. Buy the Mr. Coffee Programmable Coffee Maker on Amazon.com.
- A tablet is a great gift because it allows everyone to stay entertained with various apps and games and also stay connected with loved ones. Buy the Amazon Fire Tablet on Amazon.com.
- A new dishwasher to help keep the kitchen tidy. Buy on Amazon.com.
- An e-reader packed with favorite books. Buy the Kindle Paperwhite e-reader on Amazon.com.
- An updated washer and dryer to help keep the home clean.
Homemade Gift Suggestions
There's plenty of gifts you can make for your spouse or a couple celebrating their 50th anniversary. Many of these ideas will be a gift for you, too, as you take a walk down memory lane.
- Put together a CD with songs from the era of the marriage date.
- Create a poem, write it in gold ink, and display it in a gold-colored frame.
- Put together a family quilt with each square done by a family member or close friends.
- Make a wish tree. Paint a big branch gold, and decorate with gold ribbons and ornaments. Fill the branches with pictures of major life events, cherished family and friends, tickets for a trip, traveler's checks, and gift certificates for different events and restaurants for use locally or on a trip.
- Assemble a memory photo album with pictures highlighting 50 years together. Include the wedding, children, grandchildren, friends, trips taken together, and homes once lived in. Include stories from children and friends.