A fifth wedding anniversary is a milestone to celebrate, whether it is your anniversary or that of a friend or relative. Learn about the symbols associated with the anniversary and creative ways to incorporate them into your celebration and gift selections.
Symbols of the Fifth Wedding Anniversary
Each anniversary carries its symbols and suggestions for gifts. Here are those associated with the fifth wedding anniversary:
- Traditional Gift: Wood symbolizes the strength of your marriage bond. Wood is durable and long-lasting, indicating a solidified relationship.
- Contemporary/Modern Gift: Silverware is the modern gift. It is a reminder of the connection the two of you formed as you shared meals with each other and your children.
- Gemstone: Sapphire or pink tourmaline are the gems associated with this anniversary.
- Color: Several colors are associated with the fifth anniversary, including blue, pink, or turquoise.
- Flower: Daisy is the fifth-anniversary flower. In the language of flowers, daisies represent innocence, loyal love, I'll never tell, and purity.
Ways to Celebrate Your Fifth Anniversary
You can use the traditional symbols as inspiration for your celebration.
- Plant a tree together. You can plant one in your yard or at a park, school, or church.
- An oak tree represents solidity.
- A pine tree represents the evergreen character of your love for one another.
- A flaming red maple represents the flaming passion you have for each other.
- A flowering crab tree represents love eternal.
- Toast one another with a hope that your love continues to grow and prosper like the trees around you.
- Plan a special dinner that will allow you to use your special silverware. Use some of the traditional colors as the theme for the table. Decorate the table with arrangements of daisies and sprigs of wood.
- Enjoy an outing to a wooded park, arboretum, forest, or trail. Stroll or hike together, enjoying the greenery.
- Purchase tickets to a show, movie, sports event, concert, theater, etc. to attend together.
Gift Suggestions to Purchase for the Fifth Anniversary
- Purchase a framed share of stock in a major company that has meaning to the both of you.
- Wooden baskets
- Shaker boxes
- Magazine subscription
- Wooden jigsaw puzzle
- Wooden paperweight
- Art print of trees
- Wooden nameplate
- Wooden salad set
- Wooden wine rack
- Fireplace kindling
- Wood sculpture or carvings
- Wood shelving
- Wood curio cabinet
- Willow twig furniture
- Small wood folding tables
- Croquet set
- Wooden quilt rack
- Ping pong table
- Wicker furniture
- Bentwood rocker
- Wine: Port, or wine with a vintage from your wedding year
Fifth Anniversary Wine
A port wine aged five years may be a good selection. You can also buy a bottle with a vintage from the year of the couple's wedding.
Gift Suggestions to Make for Your Fifth Anniversary
Use these ideas to create something to give to your spouse:
- Stuff a wooden box with a love note, a book on romance, love coupons, a picture of the two of you, etc.
- Remodel your closet so it is cedar-lined.
- Put together a roadmap describing a trip to take together where there are forests.