Only six ingredients go into these buttery jam-filled thumbprint cookies. Use your favorite jam or preserves in the centers of these cookies.
This recipe was adapted from a vintage Mississippi cookbook.
- Heat the oven to 400 F.
- In a large mixing bowl with electric mixer, cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Add egg yolks and vanilla to the creamed mixture; blend well. Stir in the flour until well blended. If the dough is too soft to handle, work in little more flour.
- Roll dough into small balls. Place on an ungreased cookie sheet. Press a thumb or finger in the center of each ball of dough to make an indentation.
- Fill the thumbprint with your raspberry or strawberry jam or your favorite jam or preserves. Bake a small first batch, and if the cookies in the first batch spread too much, work a little more flour into the dough.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, until light brown around edges.