Here are some 60th wedding anniversary ideas and symbols to help in choosing gifts associated with the 60th marriage anniversary.
The tradition of celebrating a 60th anniversary came into popularity after Queen Victoria celebrated her Diamond Jubilee.
60th Anniversary Traditional Gift:
Diamond which comes from the Greek word adamas which means unconquerable and enduring.
Many also believe that the fire in the diamond symbolizes the constant flame of love.
60th Anniversary Contemporary/Modern Gift:
60th Anniversary Gemstone:
60th Anniversary Color:
60th Anniversary Flower:
There are no flowers traditionally associated with this anniversary. Put together a bouquet with one different white flower for each decade together. There is also a lovely lavender thornless rose bush called "Diamond Anniversary" and another one called "Diamond Wishes".
Ways to Celebrate Your 60th Anniversary:
Use sparkly glitter or crystal rhinestones on flowers, cards, centerpieces, gift wrap, balloons, etc.
For those in the United Kingdom, request a telegram from the Queen.
For those in the United States, request a greeting from the Whitehouse.
Gift Suggestions to Purchase for Your 60th Anniversary:
When considering gifts for the 60th anniversary, think twice before purchasing anniversary plates, jewelry, knick knacks, etc. as many senior citizens are trying to reduce clutter and possessions in their lives. A dinner at a special restaurant, tickets to a show , a trip, coupons to help with chores, etc. will probably be more appreciated.
- Plan a romantic vacation to one of your favorite cities for your anniversary. Check out travel deals to Rome, Italy on TripAdvisor.com.
- A new front load washer and dryer to help keep your home tidy. Buy the Frigidaire Front Load Laundry Pair on Amazon.com.
- A comfy new mattress that will give you and your loved one a better nights rest. Buy the Casper Memory Foam Mattress on Amazon.com.
- A new programmable slow cooker so you can enjoy home cooked meals. Buy a Crock-Pot Programmable Slow Cooker on Amazon.com.
- A programmable drip coffee maker so that you can always have coffee ready in the mornings. Buy the Mr. Coffee Programmable Coffee Maker on Amazon.com.
- A treadmill to help keep you and your spouse in shape in the comfort of your own home. Buy the Weslo Cadence Fold-Up Treadmill on Amazon.com.
- A vacuum cleaning robot to help keep your floors clean with just one push of a button. Buy the iRobot Roomba Vacuum Cleaning Robot on Amazon.com.
Gift Suggestions to Make for Your 60th Anniversary:
Put together a CD with songs from the year you were married.
Assemble a memory photo album with pictures highlighting 60 years together. Include the wedding, children, grandchildren, friends, trips taken together, homes lived in, etc. A nice addition is to include stories from children and friends.
Time Capsule Ideas for Your 60th Anniversary:
Create a time capsule of the wedding day. Include a list of popular songs, movies, news headlines, and events. Some sites that will provide that information are: