If you or someone you know is celebrating a seventh wedding anniversary, it helps to know the gifts commonly used to mark the event. Copper and wool are the traditional seven-year anniversary gift while desk stationery sets and desk organizers are the modern gift. Yellow and off-white are the colors for the seventh anniversary, and the seven-year anniversary stones are onyx, yellow sapphire, and golden beryl. So you can use these symbols for seven years of marriage to help inspire a gift.
Here are 40 ideas for seven-year anniversary gifts, traditional and modern, to get you started.
7th Anniversary Symbols
- Traditional: Copper, wool
- Contemporary: Desk sets/organizers
- Gemstone: Onyx, yellow sapphire, golden beryl
- Color: Yellow, off-white
- Flower: Freesia, Jack-in-the-pulpit
There was no traditional gift for seven years of marriage in the United States until 1937. In that year, the American National Retail Jeweler Association published a list of traditional anniversary gifts by year through the 20th wedding anniversary and then for each fifth year thereafter.
For the seventh anniversary, gifts composed of copper or wool are traditional, though this can vary by country. Both are recognized in the U.S. But wool is favored in the United Kingdom, France, Spain, and Italy. And copper is the choice in Russia and Germany.
Copper has long had a traditional meaning of prosperity, good luck, and good fortune. Couples who celebrate their seventh wedding anniversary can indeed celebrate their good fortune in finding one another. Wool represents the comfort, durability, security, and warmth that couples married this long give one another.
Furthermore, as the modern seventh wedding anniversary gift, a desk set or organizer is supposed to represent the respect you have for each other’s work and the work your relationship takes.
Modern and Traditional 7th Anniversary Gifts
- Quality set of pens
- Monogrammed stationery set
- Calligraphy lessons to create personalized stationery
- Calligraphy set
- Coordinating mouse pad, laptop case, and other gear for desk tech items
- Coordinating files, writing utensil holder, and other desk organizers
- Desk catchall tray
- Desktop or wall-mounted calendar/planner
- Phone/tablet charging station for the desk
- Desk/desk chair upgrade
- Standing desk
- Onyx jewelry
- Yellow sapphire jewelry
- Golden beryl jewelry
- Wool sweater
- Wool-lined gloves
- Wool-lined boots
- Wool hat
- Wool throw blanket
- Wool socks
- Wool slippers
- Trip to New Zealand or Australia, which have significant wool industries
- Copper frame with a wedding photo
- Copper wind chimes
- Copper door knocker
- Copper pulls to upgrade cabinetry
- Copper bookends
- Copper telescope
- Copper nameplate for the desk
- Copper cookware
- Copper cocktail shaker
- Copper mugs
- Copper home decor accessory
- Copper cufflinks
- Photo of the couple engraved on copper
- Framed penny with the wedding year
- Penny keychain accessory with the wedding year
- High-quality sheet set in off-white or yellow
- Bouquet of freesias
- Freesia earrings or necklace
Watch Now: Couples Share How to Have a Romantic Anniversary
Ways to Celebrate
Your seventh wedding anniversary celebration can involve a fancy night out, a trip, a party, an intimate evening at home, and more. Here are some ideas to work in some seven-year anniversary traditions.
- Watch the movie "Desk Set" together.
- Toast one another with the hope that your love continues to provide comfort, prosperity, and security like the traditional gifts of wool and copper.
- Learn how to make Moscow mules with copper mugs.
- Visit a petting zoo or public farm that has sheep. Bonus points if you can find somewhere that does a sheep-shearing demonstration.
- Think of a dream date night you've wanted to do over the past seven years but haven't yet, and set it up for your anniversary.