01 of 05
Adhesive tile mat is an alternative to using thinset or tile adhesive to stick tile to the wall for backsplashes. This mat comes in rolls and is sticky on both sides. Unroll the mat, cut with scissors or utility knife, and remove the protective film from one side. Stick mat to the wall. Remove the outer protective film. Stick tiles to the mat.
02 of 05
There are 3 predominant brands of adhesive mat.
- Bondera: Starting in 2009, W.R. Grace's Bondera was the first major tile mat to hit the consumer market. Originally available at 1,500 Lowe's stores, Bondera--a thin, gridded mat--has been dropped from the stores and is available only online.
- MusselBound: U.S.-made MusselBound is Lowe's current adhesive tile mat.
- SimpleMat: Produced by Custom Building Products and distributed through Home Depot stores, SimpleMat is a raised adhesive mat that allows you to press the tile in, much as you would do with mortar.
03 of 05
- No Curing Time. You can grout immediately after the tiles are set. No waiting for thinset to dry, a process which can take 24-72 hours. The bigger the tile, the longer the curing time.
- Reduced "Tile Slide". When sticking a tile to the wall with thinset, you have to contend with tiles sliding downward once you apply them. This is not an insurmountable task, but it is another complication. Tile mats are not wet, so slide is reduced but not eliminated.
- No Race To Apply Tiles. The moment you trowel on thinset, you need to start laying tiles. Delaying means the possibility of the thinset "skinning over," in which case you need to scrape the thinset off and start again. Adhesive tile mats will not dry out, so you can take your time with setting tiles.
04 of 05
Costs 4x More Than Thinset
All 3 brands cost roughly the same.
- Bondera: 1 foot x 10 feet (10 sq. ft) for $20. Price is $2 per square foot.
- MusselBound: 1 foot x 15 feet (15 sq. ft.) for $27. Price is $1.80 per square foot.
- SimpleMat: 9 inches x 18 feet (10 sq. ft.) for $21. Price is $2.10 per square foot. Also available in 9 inch x 40-foot sizes.
You definitely pay for the convenience of adhesive tile mats, as they cost 4 times as much as thinset mortar. Thinset cost is $0.44 per square foot.
This is based on the calculation that 1 gallon of SimpleSet Pre-Mixed Thin-Set Mortar at $22 per gallon covers as much as 50 square feet. This is the absolute maximum this product will cover, basing coverage on a V-trowel.Continue to 5 of 5 below.
05 of 05
Limitations and Disadvantages
All adhesive mats have built-in limits. Generally, tiles are limited to 7 pounds per square foot or less. Large tiles (12" square or greater) cannot be used. Finally, while mesh-backed mosaics will work with tile mats, they are not the best material. Non-mesh tiles work better.
While I would like to report that adhesive mats are a slam-dunk for backsplash tiling, nothing is perfect. The chief disadvantage is that some homeowners report tiles loosening and falling. As these incidents are self-reported, it is difficult to know if the mats and tiles were installed correctly in the first place.