01 of 07
Continue to 2 of 7 below.
- Beach Towel - the length of the towel should comfortably wrap around your body and overlap on the front of your body.
- One package Double Fold Bias Tape Quilt Binding to match the towel
- One package 3/4" wide non-roll elastic
- One package 3/4" wide sew-on hook and loop tape
02 of 07
Start the Quilt Binding.
Continue to 3 of 7 below.
- On the right side of the towel, open the tape, extending the end of the binding approximately 3/4" beyond the edge of the towel, placing the right side of the wider edge of the binding to the right side of the towel.
- Line up the edge of the binding with the long edge of the towel.
- Sew the quilt binding to the towel, using the fold closest to the edge as a guide.
03 of 07
Close the Ends
Continue to 4 of 7 below.
- Fold the ends of the binding so that the right sides of the tape are facing each other.
- Sew a seam in the ends of the binding, using the end of the towel as a guide.
- Trim the seam allowance.
- Turn right side out so that the seam allowance will be enclosed.
04 of 07
Create Elastic Casing
Continue to 5 of 7 below.
- Pin the binding so that it is folded as it was purchased and the elastic is not in sewing area at the edge of the binding.
- Optional -- Hand baste the binding in place.
- Start sewing the binding, so that top stitching is on the sewn layer, three to four inches in from each end, as close to the edge as possible. You are leaving the ends open to adjust the elastic.
05 of 07
Continue to 6 of 7 below.
- Cut a piece of elastic that is roughly the measurement of the towel.
- Using a bodkin or safety pin, thread the elastic through the casing formed by the quilt binding.
- Un-fold the end of the binding and sew the end of the elastic to the seam line.
- Finish closing that end of the casing.
- Try on the towel wrap and adjust the elastic to a comfortable fit that will hold the towel in place.
- Sew the other end of the elastic to the end seam as you did the first end of the elastic.
- Pull enough elastic through so that it is not "gathered" to make it easier to finish closing the binding.
- Finish closing the binding.
06 of 07
Sew On the Hook and Loop TapeOne end of the towel will be outside and one will be inside. The hook and loop tape will need to be on the inside edge of the outside layer of the towel wrap and on the outside of the inside layer of the towel wrap.
To protect your bathing suit from being snagged by the hook part of the tape, place the hook side so it faces out on the under layer of the wrap.
Continue to 7 of 7 below.
- Try on the towel and note the amount of overlap. Cut a piece of hook and loop tape to that measurement.
- Sew the hook part of the tape to the bottom layer of the binding, starting at the end of the wrap, sewing through all the layers and backstitching to make sure the tape stays in place.
- On the outside layer of the wrap attach the loop half of the hook and loop tape, so it will face the hook section when the wrap is worn.
07 of 07