Love Almond Joy candy bars? Now you can make them at home! This recipe for Homemade Almond Joy Candy Bars tastes JUST like the candy bars you can buy in the store--no, wait, they don't. They taste better, because they're made with fresh ingredients in your own kitchen.
Not an almond person? You can use this same recipe to make chewy coconut candy bars (like homemade Mounds!) without any nuts whatsoever. Or substitute your favorite nuts, like pecans, walnuts, or hazelnuts, instead.
- 5 fl oz condensed milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 cups sugar (powdered)
- 14 ounces coconut (shredded sweetened)
- 24 ounces chocolate candy coating
- 3/4 cup almonds (whole toasted)
1. Prepare a 9x13 pan by lining it with aluminum foil and spraying the foil with nonstick cooking spray.
2. In a large mixing bowl, stir together the condensed milk, salt and vanilla with a spatula or wooden spoon.
3. Sprinkle in the powdered sugar over the condensed milk mixture gradually, stirring until it is well-incorporated. Next add the coconut, and stir until everything is moistened and well-combined.
4. Press the candy into the prepared pan in an even layer. You may not use the whole pan if you prefer a thicker coconut candy. While the candy is still soft, press the whole almonds into the tops at even intervals to embed them slightly in the candy. Place the pan in the refrigerator to set the candy, about 1 hour.
5. Once firm, remove from the refrigerator and use a sharp knife to cut the candy into small rectangles.
6. Place the candy coating in a microwave-safe bowl, and microwave in 30-second intervals, stirring after every 30 seconds, until the coating is melted and smooth.
7. Using dipping tools or two forks, immerse the coconut bar completely in the chocolate and then bring it up, holding it over the bowl to let the excess chocolate drip back into the bowl. Drag the bottom against the lip of the bowl, then place it on a foil-lined baking sheet and repeat with the remaining candy.
8. Place the tray in the refrigerator to set the coating, for at least 15 minutes. For the best taste and texture, serve these Almond Joy Bars at room temperature. Store them in an airtight container at room temperature for up to two weeks.
Like this recipe? You'll love these other copycat candy bar recipes: