Naturally sweet carrots are enhanced with almonds, amaretto, and a hint of cinnamon. If you do not have amaretto liqueur or cannot use it, simply substitute almond extract as directed in the recipe. This is an elegant yet simple and fast side dish.
- Lightly toast slivered almonds in a dry skillet until it starts to become lightly brown and smell fragrant. Set aside.
- Slice the carrots into 1/8-inch-thick coin shapes.
- Place carrots in a heavy saucepan with the butter and gently simmer about 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the amaretto, cinnamon, pepper.
- Continue to simmer until carrots are just tender but not overcooked. Stir in toasted almonds and serve.