American Flag Cake Recipe
This flag cake makes a terrific patriotic dessert recipe for Memorial Day or 4th of July. This flag cake starts with a cake mix, so it's easy, but feel free to use a homemade cake if you prefer. Be sure to use fresh blueberries and raspberries for this patriotic cake recipe. The frozen berries will bleed all over the cake.
For a change of pace, try making this cake a patriotic poke cake, with red, white and blue inside.
- 18.25 ounces vanilla, white or yellow cake mix, plus ingredients to make the cake
- Flag Cake Frosting and Decorations
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 9 ounce frozen whipped topping, such as Cool Whip or Tru Whip, slightly thawed
- 3 tablespoon powdered sugar
- 1 pint fresh blueberries
- 1-2 pints fresh raspberries
- Prepare cake in a 9 x 13 baking dish, according to package directions.
- Let cake cool 15 minutes, then invert onto a serving platter to cool completely. Freeze cake while you prepare the frosting (this makes the flag cake easier to frost).
- With an electric mixer, beat the cream cheese, whipped topping and powdered sugar until smooth. Frost flag cake with this frosting.
- To decorate your flag cake: Outline a square in the top left corner with blueberries. Fill in with remaining blueberries, leaving some white space showing through. These are the stars on your flag cake.
- Make several lines of raspberries next to and below the blueberries. These are the stripes of your flag cake. Refrigerate flag cake until ready to serve.
Hint: I find the frosting of this flag cake is stable enough to keep the berries from running. But if your frosting seems a bit runny, freeze the cake 15-45 minutes before adding the berries. Then you can either freeze the flag cake until 2 hours before serving (leave it out to thaw) or refrigerate until ready to serve.