Have your kids decorate this simple recipe for a Fourth of July picnic. It's so fun to decorate a dessert to look like the American flag! And it's so easy.
This recipe starts with refrigerated cookie dough, but you could of course make your own shortbread base. Bake the shortbread until it is lightly browned and let it cool completely before you add the frosting and the fruit.
You could use a couple of cans of prepared frosting in place of the cream cheese frosting if you're in a hurry. I would layer a cream cheese frosting on the bottom, then put white frosting on top. Or you could use a buttercream frosting instead.
- 1 package/10 ounces refrigerated sugar cookie dough
- 1 package/8 ounces cream cheese (softened)
- 2 tablespoons butter (softened)
- 2 to 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 pint blueberries
- 2 pints strawberries (or raspberries; more or less as needed)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a cookie sheet and then press the cookie dough into a rectangular shape that is about 1/8" thick. Press your thumbs into the edges to create a scalloped border.
- Bake the cookie for 8 to 10 minutes or until the edges begin to brown. Remove the pan from the oven and cool completely.
- While the crust is cooling, mix the cream cheese, butter, 2 tablespoons milk, powdered sugar, and lemon juice in a medium bowl; beat until fluffy. Add more milk if necessary until spreading consistency is reached.
- Spread the frosting evenly over the cooled cookie, leaving the scalloped border exposed.
- Arrange the fruit in an American flag design. Blueberries will form the blue field in the upper left hand corner, and use the raspberries and/or strawberries for the horizontal stripes. Cut into squares to serve. Refrigerate any leftovers.