The Bottom Line
This gas grill was designed to be an affordable (around $2,500USD) completely 304 stainless steel grill with all the features. It isn't fancy and it might seem like it's that affordable, but this grill is what you get when no short cuts are taken. Designed and built by the same people who make Fire Magic gas grills, this is a great grill for the person serious about cooking and who wants to have it all in a package that will last for many years.
- Complete 304 Stainless Steel Construction
- Fire Magic Engineering
- Excellent Grease Management System
- Heat is a little uneven
- A basic grill (though extras are available)
- Three 13,333 BTU stainless steel U-shape burners
- 522 square inches of primary grilling space for a total cooking area of 670 square inches
- 40,000 BTU maximum output from the main burners
- 304 stainless steel welded rod cooking grids
- Double layer hood with center mounted thermometer
- Electronic Ignition
- Funneled grease management with slide out drip tray
- Sold as propane or natural gas - convertible
- Made in the United States
R.H. Peterson, makers of Fire Magic gas grills, wanted to introduce a line of "affordable" stainless steel gas grills and came up with the American Outdoor Grill (frequently called AOG). This is the grill you get when the maker of one of the most expensive grills on the market, strips down the gas grill to the most basic design, but still provides you with complete 304 stainless steel construction.
At the heart of this grill is a triple "U" shaped burner system that gives you an even heat because the flame is spread out evenly inside the firebox. The 40,000 BTU maximum output seems a little light for the 522 square inches of primary grilling space, but efficient design make up for underpowered output.
You will get plenty of heat out of this grill and certainly be able to get a good sear on meats. The firebox is welded and sealed so you won't get grease running down the back or pooling in corners like you do on many grills. This reduces flare-ups and helps keep the grill clean.
What you are really buying here is a durable stainless steel gas grill for around $2,500. This might seem like a lot in comparison to many mass market grills, but it stands head and shoulders above those lesser stainless steel units.
A 12,000 BTU side burner under a flush mounted cover and 10,000 BTU rear mounted infrared rotisserie burner are available.