Amy Shojai, CABC is the author of 27 pet care books, a certified animal behavior consultant (cats and dogs), and a nationally known authority on pet care and behavior.
Like the other Experts at About.com, I'm a real person. I love hearing from you.
This Guidesite is written and managed by one person--that's me. The About Puppies site may be new but it's growing as fast as your puppy. Managing this web site and bringing you the best puppy content possible takes lots of time. While I'm passionate about puppies, my time only goes so far. For that reason, I can rarely answer one-on-one personal questions about puppies. Please read this document in its entirety before mailing me. Chances are, you'll find your answer here.
How to Find the Help You Need
Before you shoot off a messagel (or any other Internet expert, for that matter), there are a couple questions you should ask yourself:
- Did I use the search function on this site to find the answer?
- Did I check the Topics listings at the left-hand side of the main page?
If you can answer "yes" to these questions, and still couldn't find the answer you were looking for, then writing me might be the answer.
Before You Write
Think about the question you want answered. Here are some tips to be sure you phrase your question in a way that will get answered quickly:
- Refer to this FAQ to learn how to submit photos and stories to the Puppies Site.
- Don't send attachments: I can't open them. If you must show me something visually, post it to a Web site and send the URL.
- Use a clear description in the subject line: If your subject looks like spam, chances are it will be deleted without being opened.
- Be specific: Please be as brief and succinct as you can. If I need more information, I will ask for it by email.
- Be polite: I am much more likely to respond favorably to a politely worded request. And remember, all caps in email sounds like you're shouting at the recipient, and I don't like to be shouted at.
- Saying thank you is always appreciated: If your question is answered and my reply was helpful, it's always nice to know. I am a human, not a computer, and I appreciate human courtesy.
You can message me on Facebook or Twitter links above, or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org. Because of the amount of e-mail I receive, I may not be able to respond right away, but I try to read every piece of mail. Note: Any email and responses may be posted to the blog on the Puppies site, while protecting the identity of the writer by use of initials. Names and email addresses will not be disclosed to other readers.
As a full time professional "pet journalist" for more than 25 years, Amy has interviewed several hundred veterinarians and pet experts for her books on behavior, training, health, first aid, "holistic" care, and cutting edge veterinary medicine. She also writes "dog viewpoint" novels, Thrillers With Bite! featuring a German Shepherd service dog, animal behaviorist and trained Maine Coon cat.
Amy is a professional member of the Dog Writers Association of America (DWAA) and founder of Cat Writers Association (CWA). She's been recognized with dozens of writing awards including two DWAA Maxwell Medallions awarded to Puppies.About.com as "Best Dog Website" and three "CWA Friskies Writer of the Year" awards, and appears as a pet expert on Animal Planet's "DOGS 101" and "CATS 101."
Amy is an Animal Behavior Consultant, certified by the International Association of Animal Behavior Consultants. She has a degree in music and communication from Goshen College, worked as a veterinary technician for more than a dozen veterinarians, and has been "in dogs" since childhood--longer ago than she wants to admit.
Amy attends continuing education events at veterinary conferences, animal behavior classes, and dog training seminars to stay current on information important to the well-being of puppies, dogs, and cats.
I'm passionate about puppies! And I love connecting with people who share my furry good taste.
My dream job lets me play with puppies, sniff out doggy dilemmas, and help owners un-puzzle puppy health and training challenges. My writing seeks to educate, entertain, offer solutions, and help preserve the loving bond we share with these special creatures. Because after all, puppies and the dogs they grow up to be are never "just a pet" but are part of the family.
My husband and I currently live with Magical-Dawg the German Shepherd, Seren the "old lady" Siamese Wannabe, and Karma-Kitty, a lynx-point Siamese rescue. The pets of my past, present and future are my furry inspiration and the reason I write. Please join me in celebrating puppies, and bookmark this site for all the puppy must-knows to stay one paw-step ahead of your furry wonder!