The best birthday party games are the ones that get kids moving—and laughing! This animal-themed activity fits both bills. Here's how you play:
Time Required: 5 minutes to 20 minutes
- Divide the kids evenly into two teams.
- Explain the layout of the field (or backyard or living room). There should be a safe zone for each team on either end of the field. You could delineate the safe zones with a rope or hose. Have the teams sit on two straight lines near the middle of the field but at least 10 feet apart from each other.
- Choose one team to go first. Team A huddles up in their safe zone and quietly decides on an animal to imitate. They then return to the starting line, and on the count of three, everyone on Team A silently acts out the animal they chose. For example, if they decided to be monkeys, they might hop up and down and scratch their armpits.
- Meanwhile, Team B is watching from their starting line. Team B members raise their hand if they have a guess as to what animal is being acted out by the other team.
- An adult calls on one child with his or her hand up at a time. If the child guesses correctly, that gives the green light for Team B to charge across the field and try to tag the players from Team A. Team A players scramble to run back to their safe zone before being tagged.
- If Team A players make it to their safe zone without being tagged, they stay on Team A. If they get tagged, they become a member of Team B.
- Now, it's Team B's turn to huddle up and decide on an animal to mimic. Repeat the steps for as long as the kids are having fun. There's no end or winner. If an entire team ends up being tagged, start over with even teams.
- This game requires few or no supplies, making it one of the easiest to pull off at a kid's party.
- In terms of the number of participants, this game is flexible. You could play with as few as six kids or as many as 50 (or more!).
What You Need
- 4 ropes or hoses help mark the start line and safe zones but aren't necessary.
- Want to add a layer of fun? Paint the kids' faces like animals before you begin. This game would be perfect for a jungle-themed party.