These classic chicken fried steaks are made with cube steaks. You can tenderize the steaks yourself with a meat mallet. See the expert tips for instructions.
Serve chicken fried steaks with biscuits, gravy, and mashed potatoes. Add your family's favorite vegetables for a delicious everyday meal.
- 1 pound cube steaks (or tenderized round steak; see below)
- 1/2 cup flour (seasoned with salt, pepper, and a little garlic powder*)
- 1 large egg (beaten)
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs (or cracker crumbs; more as needed)
- Oil for frying
- Dredge the meat with flour seasoned with salt, pepper, and a little garlic powder.
- Dip into beaten egg.
- Press bread crumbs or soda cracker crumbs into the meat.
- Fry in about 1/2 inch of hot oil (approximately 350 F) until golden brown.
*For each cup of flour, add 2 teaspoons of salt and 1 teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper.
- How to Tenderize Round Steak: Place the steak on a cutting board and place a sheet of plastic wrap on the meat. Pound with the spiked side of the meat mallet until the steak is thinned. Dip it in the egg and crumbs and cook until golden brown.
- Serve chicken fried steaks with prepared gravy, mashed potatoes, green beans or corn, and biscuits.
- From Annie: "I buy cube steaks which I have the butcher run through the tenderizer again. Buy the best cube steaks you can find. Here is the way I make my chicken fried steak."