This easy slow cooker recipe combines hot dogs and homemade barbecue sauce for a delicious twist on the quintessential party food recipe of sweet and spicy cocktail wieners. Popular in the 1970s, this combination of mini hot dogs and thick and dark-colored piquant sauce has still held strong as an easy appetizer that everyone seems to love.
This recipe keeps the flavor profile somewhat simple, focussing on the tastes of barbecue sauce and eliminating any use of spice. Of course, you can use your favorite bottled barbecue sauce, but considering how easy this recipe is, it makes sense to control the ingredients so you know exactly what is in the dish. You can use sliced hot dogs, cocktail franks, or little smokies. Just put it all in the slow cooker—all you need to do is provide the toothpicks and napkins.
- 4 pounds hot dogs or small cocktail hot dogs or little smoked sausages
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons prepared mustard
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar or honey
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 2 teaspoons vinegar
- If using regular hot dogs, cut into bite-size pieces. Place franks in a crock pot.
- Combine remaining ingredients in a measuring cup or bowl and pour over hot dogs.
- Cook on LOW for 3 to 4 hours, or on HIGH for 1 to 2 hours.
- Serve from the crock pot, with the temperature set on LOW.
If these barbecue cocktail franks are the hit of the party, you may want to try some other recipes the next time you have guests over.
Add a little heat to the buffet with a sweet and spicy mini hot dog recipe that cooks in the crock pot, or little smokies in a spicy sauce. If you're pressed for time, you can quickly throw together a crock pot recipe of mini smoked sausages with chili sauce and grape jelly—only three ingredients! And, as we all know, everything is better with bacon—and this recipe for bacon-wrapped mini hot dogs in a maple-brown sugar sauce is proof of just that.