These apple muffins are topped with a cinnamon sugar blend before baking. These apples are perfect for fall mornings. Bake a batch and take them to the office, or include them in lunchboxes.
They're excellent for holiday mornings, too!
Apple Crumble Muffins
- 1 egg
- 2/3 cup apple juice or milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil, such as canola, corn oil, or safflower
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- 1 apple, peeled, cored, and finely chopped
- cinnamon sugar for topping*
- Heat the oven to 400° F (200° C/Gas 6).
- Grease 18 muffin cups or line with paper liners.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the egg, apple juice or milk, vegetable oil, and vanilla until well blended.
- In another bowl, combine the flour, sugars, baking powder, and salt. Stir to blend thoroughly.
- Stir the flour mixture into the egg mixture just until flour is moistened. The batter will be a little lumpy, but that's okay. Stir in the chopped nuts and chopped apple.
- With a spoon or scoop, fill the prepared muffin cups about two-thirds full.
- Sprinkle some cinnamon sugar over the top of each muffin.
- Bake for 16 to 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- *To make cinnamon sugar, blend about 1 1/2 teaspoons of cinnamon with 1/4 cup of granulated sugar.
- Makes about 1 1/2 dozen.
You Might Also Like