Deciding which fish to have in your freshwater aquarium requires you to explore the choices. Take a look at some of the popular types of fish and learn more about them.
01 of 08
:An interesting subfamily of fish are the Anabantoidei, often referred to as the Labyrinth fish. These species have a special organ that allows them to breathe air directly. The popular fad of keeping a betta in a vase, came about because of this ability. Many of these species are very popular, including:
02 of 08
Cyprinidae - Barbs, Danios, Goldfish
Cyprinidae are the largest family of entirely freshwater fish. Often referred to as the carp family, it includes many of the most popular aquarium fish. This family also includes many food fish as well as those favored in recreational fishing. Some of their more popular members include:
03 of 08
Catfish may seem alike, but in truth they are one of the most diverse families of fish. One unusual characteristic of this family is the Weber's apparatus, which connects the hearing and swim bladder organs, providing them with an exceptionally keen sense of hearing. Some popular species in this family include:
04 of 08
Charcoids: Hatchets, Pacus, Silver Dollars, Tetras
Spread throughout the world, this family includes a wide variety of species. Many are peaceful schooling, commonly seen in community aquariums. Some members of this family include:
Continue to 5 of 8 below.
- Hatchetfish: Common Hatchetfish, Marbled Hatchetfish
- Other Characoids: Black Banded Leporinus, Red Bellied Piranha
- Pacus and Silver Dollars: Pacu, Red Hook, Silver Dollar
- Tetras: Black Neon Tetra, Black Phantom Tetra, Black Widow Tetra, Bleeding Heart Tetra, Blind Cave Fish, Buenos Aires Tetra, Cardinal Tetra, Emperor... Tetra, Glowlight Tetra, Head and Tail Light Tetra, Neon Tetra, Red Eye Tetra, Rummy Nose Tetra, Serpae Tetra
05 of 08
Cichlids are an extremely popular freshwater family and include a wide variety of species, from elegant angelfish to large and boisterous Oscars Some common members of this family include.
- Angelfish: Believe it or not, there is only one primary species of angelfish sold in the aquarium trade.
- Blood Parrots: A controversial hybrid, this species is widely available.
- Convicts: Named for their prison uniform coloration, convicts are one of the most popular South American cichlids.
- Kribensis: This... attractive, and peaceful, member of the Cichlid family hails from Africa.
- Oscar: This cichlid ranks high on the list of fish with oodles of personality.
- Texas Cichlid: The northernmost member of the cichlid family in North America.
06 of 08
07 of 08
08 of 08
Native to Australia and New Guinea, Rainbowfish have rapidly become popular worldwide. Their bright colors and dual dorsal fins set them apart from many other freshwater species. Unfortunately, their attractiveness has caused some species to be captured to the point of near extinction in the wild. As a result, some species, such as the highly prized Boseman's Rainbow, are largely captive bred.
Some of the fish included in this group are: Axelrod's Rainbow, Boesman's Rainbow, Lake... Kutubu Rainbow, Lake Wanam Rainbow, Madagascar Rainbow, Neon Rainbow, and the Red Rainbow. Visit the Rainbowfish gallery for a full list.