Thousands of bargain hunters flock to Worthington, Indiana each year on the Saturday before Labor Day. That's when Worthington hosts its annual Around the Town Yard Sale. Started in 1992 and sponsored by the Lions Club, the town-wide yard sale typically has at least 100 individual sales — in addition to lots of community events and activities.
Worthington, Indiana is part of the Greater Bloomington Metro area.
- Worthington, Indiana
Dates and Times:
- The town-wide yard sale is officially held on the Saturday of Labor Day Weekend, but lots of sellers open for business on Thursday and Friday too.
- Dawn til dusk
- 2017 Date: September 2
- 2018 Date: September 1
- 2019 Date: August 31
- 2020 Date: September 5
- 2021 Date: September 4
Around the Town Yard Sale Shopping Tips:
- Watch for yard sale signs and crowds in parking lots. Not all participating yard sales are held at residential properties.
- The Worthington Lions Club holds a breakfast on the official sale day each year in the Town Hall of the Municipal Building, typically starting at 6:30 that morning. The cost is $6 for adults and $4 for children 12 and under. Lots of local organizations and professional food vendors offer concessions throughout the day as well.
- Pick up an event map at Worthington's Municipal Building or from one of the local merchants. The map doesn't list individual yard sales, but it does mark food vendor, portable toilet, and ATM locations.
- Learn the Top 10 Yard Sale Shopping Tips before the day of the sale — and toss in your treasure hunting tool kit when you load your car.
- Arriving in Worthington early on Saturday morning may not get you the first crack at the merchandise. A good number of sellers get an early start on the event by opening their sales on Thursday or Friday.
Selling at the Worthington Town-Wide Yard Sale:
- Though there's no official fee for setting up a participating yard sale during the event, the Lions Club does request donations from sellers. Expect a volunteer to show up at your sale during the day to ask. The donations cover the costs of advertising the event and placing trash cans and portable toilets in town for shoppers to use — in addition to funding the various causes supported by the organization.
- If you don't have a good place to set up your sale, you can rent a 6-by-6-foot space at the SON Shine Shop on Washington Street for a $15 donation. The donation goes to the local food pantry. Contact the Lions Club for any additional available sale locations.
For More Information:
- (812) 875-2641
- Worthington, Indiana Lions Club