In this recipe, fresh cooked asparagus is served with a great tasting cheese sauce and crumbled bacon.
- 5 strips of bacon, cooked until crisp, drained
- 1 to 1 1/2 pounds fresh asparagus, tough ends trimmed
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shredded American or mild Cheddar cheese
- Fry or bake the bacon until crisp; drain on paper towels, then crumble. Set aside.
- Put a steaming basket in a saucepan with one to two inches of water. Bring to a boil. Add the trimmed asparagus to the basket, cover the pan, and steam for about 5 to 6 minutes, just until the asparagus is crisp-tender. See also: How to Cook Asparagus Five Ways
- Melt butter in a saucepan; stir in flour until the roux is smooth and bubbly. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Gradually add the milk to the roux. Cook, stirring constantly, until thickened. Add salt and cheese; stir until cheese is melted.
- Pour sauce over hot drained asparagus and then sprinkle crumbled bacon over the top. Serve hot.
Serves 4 to 6.
You Might Also Like