Your open house may be the best in your neighborhood but if you don't market it right, no one will know about it. Just like the buzzword for selling is location, location, location, the word for open houses is advertise, advertise, advertise. Market your open house to the masses, and it doesn't have to cost a fortune. There are plenty of ways to get the word out. Yes, some will cost you a bit of money. You've got to spend money to make money, but there are plenty of other inexpensive or free ways to spread the word.
Use Social Media
The growth of the internet and social media sites have changed the way people do so many things, including selling homes and hosting open houses. This is great because it gives sellers and agents more ways to get the word out, often for little or no money. It's critical to learn how to keep up with the changes occurring.
Here are some ways to get the word out, including print, online, and word-of-mouth. Your agent might already do most of these, but if you're selling on your own, you'll need to read this information carefully. If you have an agent, mention ones you particularly like. Some things you can't do as a seller because the source is only accessible by an agent. There are other things you can do when selling on your own. Remember, things are done differently in different areas of the country, in different states, and even areas within states.
Advertise With Print Options
- Advertise in your local paper(s). Many people do still read the real estate section. Many papers will also list the home online.
- Post flyers in prominent locations in your area, such as on any bulletin boards in stores that allow it.
- Ask your agent's office to place flyers in the real estate agency's window.
This works if the office is located on a commercial street with lots of shops and sidewalks.
- Visit local apartment complex offices. Ask if you can post a flyer and in exchange, you will post their information at your open house.
Look to Online Advertising Options
- Ensure your ad will appear in a corresponding online real estate section (if applicable).
- Jazz up your home's website page for the open house.
- Add the info to Zillow, Trulia, and Realtor.org (for agents only).
- Do a mass emailing (to fellow agents or friends and family) with a link to the home's website. You could also attach a flyer and ask them to post, or even do both.
- Ask agents or friends if they know anyone currently looking for what you have and if they would like a sneak preview before the open house.
- Use social media sites such as Facebook and Twitter. Ask for help spreading the word.
- Make a page on Facebook for your listing, and add open house details a few weeks before the date.
- Search your favorite search engine and find a list of free sites to list open houses. Some sites include Craigslist, Yahoo! Classifieds, and Google Merchant Center.