Avenger Organic Weed Killer is a non-selective, post-emergence herbicide that quickly and effectively kills weeds, grasses, and broadleaves. It was developed and is manufactured by Avenger, whose stated mission is:
"We manufacture organic herbicides, fertilizers and pesticides for your home, business or for agricultural use for certified organic farming or for those commercial farms that would like to use products that don't contain any chemicals or synthetic ingredients which can harm people, animals or the environment."
The active ingredient in Avenger's Organic Weed Killer is d-limonene (citrus oil). About twelve years ago the owner of a successful landscaping business stumbled upon an idea to use d-Limonene (citrus-oil) as a way to kill unwanted weeds in a natural and organic manner. After perfecting the formula, he filed patents for a Ready-To-Use, Concentrate and Agricultural version of what is now called Avenger Weed Killer.
D-limonene naturally strips away the waxy plant cuticle, causing it to dehydrate and die. University and independent testing results prove that Avenger Weed Killer is as effective, but faster acting when compared against leading synthetic herbicides. When tested against non-organic ‘natural’ herbicides that contain vinegar (acetic acid), citric acid, clove oil or fatty acids (soap), it is more effective with quicker results.
- Available in 24-ounce, 1-gallon ready-to-use formulations and 32-ounce, 1- & 5-gallon concentrates
- Made from oranges, lemons and other citrus fruits.
- Non-toxic and can be used in areas near people, pets and wildlife
- Works in cool & cloudy conditions (as low as 40º F)
- Does not stain brick, concrete or pavement
- No residual effect, sprayed areas can be re-planted within hours
- Emulsion technology feature allows for visibility on the plant, avoiding over-spray
- Controls most weeds, grasses and broadleaves including: Spurge, Sowthistle, Redroot Pigweed, Tumbling Pigweed, Annual Bluegrass, Shepherd’s Purse, Common Purselane, Common Chickweed, Clover, Hairy Fleabane, Crabgrass, Smooth Crabgrass, Dandelion, Whitestem Filaree, Bermuda Grass, Bindweed, Shepherds Purse, Prickly Lettuce, Lambsquarters and Little Mallow
Avenger lived up to the claims. I thoroughly enjoyed using the product. Other weed killers are smelly, headache-inducing, toxic formulations of hazardous chemicals. Avenger smells like oranges, it's all natural, all organic, safe and it kills weeds fast.
I used the 24-ounce ready-to-use spray bottle and sprayed a variety of grassy and broadleaf weeds growing vigorously through gravel and along my garage. The effects were visible in less than two hours, just like the claim. The plants quickly wilted and died.
The citrus smell was immediately noticeable and although a little "strong" initially, the smell is pleasant.
Some of the more mature, larger weeds were in need of another application a few days later but this is to be expected with any herbicide. It's best to spray weeds when they are young and not well established.
I would continue to use Avenger for both its effectiveness and safety.
It kills weeds fast and the product seems to be completely benign to the environment with no toxicity to wildlife, humans or groundwater.
- Fast acting – visible results in less than 2 hours
- Highly biodegradable – dissipates quickly
- D-Limonene is Generally Recognized As Safe (GRAS) by the FDA – essentially no measurable toxicity for certain uses
- EPA registered & approved
- Citrus oil active ingredient gives product a pleasant smell
- Organic Materials Review Institute (OMRI) listed product. OMRI provides organic certifiers, growers, manufacturers, and suppliers an independent review of products intended for use in certified organic production, handling, and processing
- Approved for Use in Organic Gardening by the U.S. Department of Agriculture's (USDA) National Organic Program (NOP) Rule
- Approved by the Washington Organic Food Program (WSDA)
- Despite being so safe, non-selective herbicides kill everything. Use with the utmost caution.