Poaching the perfect egg didn't always seem so easy to me. But now I know how simple it can be! Check out my poached egg tutorial for how to poach the perfect egg. They turn our so beautifully and look perfect on top of avocado toast.
Simply poach the egg, mash the avocado, and top it all on a fresh piece of whole wheat toast. it doesn't get any simpler or more wholesome than that! I also added a little Sriracha for my hubby who likes it spicy! You can go really crazy and use guacamole instead of plain mashed avocado. It's a little more work, but it sure is tasty! You can also just spice it up with a little cayenne or a drizzle of your other favorite hot sauce or spice. This toast is so versatile!
You can really top this toast with any kind of egg. A fried egg would work just as well. Even scrambled would be welcomed! Whatever is easier for you! I have a preference for poached eggs because I hate when eggs get crispy, super weird I know. My husband thinks I'm crazy, but I just can't stand it.
I love being able to use free range eggs. We used to have our own chickens and loved those eggs even more. But they were sadly killed by our local bobcat. Our chicken coop sits on the edge of the yard, overgrown with weeds, yearning for little pokey beaks to bring it back to life. Someday, we'll get more chickens...or maybe ducks? Duck eggs are delicious, too. Plus ducks are super cute. Gotta get that coop bobcat proof.
- 1/2 avocado (mashed, leave it on the chunkier side if you like!)
- 1 slice whole wheat bread (toasted)
- 1 egg (poached, check out the poached egg tutorial from above!)
- 1 dash salt (to taste)
- 1 dash black pepper (to taste)
- 1 dash Sriracha (or other hot sauce to taste)
- Toast your whole wheat bread until lightly browned but still slightly soft. A really crunchy toast will be hard to eat with the toppings.
- Mash your avocado, leaving it as chunky as you like. Sprinkle a little salt onto the avocado.
- Poach your egg, or use a fried egg, whatever you prefer!
- Spread the avocado over the toast. Top it with your egg. Sprinkle a little hot sauce on top if you like and another sprinkle of salt! Dig in and enjoy!
- Recipe can easily be doubled or tripled but is best done single serve, this way the toast stays crispy, the avocados stay green, and the eggs perfectly poached!