01 of 19
Classic Italian Sub Recipe
Everyone loves a fully loaded Italian sub packed full of Italian meats, salty cheeses, fresh veggies and flavorful dressings - so why not try to make one yourself to make your lunch time routine more exciting!
1. Depending on how hungry you are, this thick flavorful sandwich can feed up to 2 or 4 people.
2. As this sandwich sits, the flavors begin to meld and make it more flavorful over time. If you're waiting to eat it, be sure to wrap it tightly in butcher or wax paper so the... ingredients stay in tack and the sandwich doesn't get soggy.
3. Don't have these exact ingredients on hand? No worries! Any variation of Italian ingredients will do. Experiment with a mix of different lunch meats to see what you like best. Try to use different veggies and cheeses such as a nice pickle-y giardiniera with fresh mozzarella or roasted red peppers with asiago cheese.Continue to 2 of 19 below.
02 of 19
Spicy Thai Chicken Salad Wrap with Sesame Peanut Dressing
This spicy Thai chicken salad is a great flavorful and healthy alternative to the typical heavy mayo-based chicken salad recipes. Packed with peanut-y awesomeness, the sesame peanut dressing is loaded with flavor and makes an amazing sauce for guilt-free chicken wrap. The herbs bring an unexpected pop of freshness to the sandwich while the Sriracha adds a flair of spice. And if you don't like heat, leave off the Sriracha and chilis and add a splash of lime juice instead.
Here's a few... tips to make this sandwich even more awesome:
1. If you don't have rotisserie chicken on hand, try boiling two breasts and shredding them with a fork.
2. Don't eat meat but still want to give this sandwich wrap a try?- don't worry! Try swapping out the sandwich with tempeh, grilled tofu, or broiled cauliflower.
3. If you don't have time to make the sesame peanut dressing by hand, simply buy the packaged variety from the store, taste it, and doctor it up with fresh lime juice, coconut milk, or sweet chili sauce.Continue to 3 of 19 below.
03 of 19
Caprese Sandwich with Tomato, Mozzarella + Fresh Basil
The Caprese sandwich is a classic Italian vegetarian sub that is packed full of flavor while also being super easy to make. Made with thick slices of fresh mozzarella, sweet Italian tomatoes, rich extra virgin olive oil, tangy balsamic glaze and herbaceous basil, it's no surprise that this sandwich's fame has made it to the US.
1. If you get this sandwich in Italy, it is most likely made with buffalo mozzarella. Although regular mozzarella still works wonders on this sandwich, the... buffalo milk gives the cheese an extra burst of flavor. If you can't find buffalo mozzarella where you live, don't worry, you can still use fresh mozzarella - just make sure that you are not using the processed, low moisture variety.
2. Don't have balsamic glaze on hand? Don't worry! You can either order some or use regular balsamic vinegar or make some yourself by adding a 1/2 a cup of balsamic vinegar with 1/4 cup apple juice and boiling it down until it reduces into a thick syrup. Personally, I like both versions equally and actually switch it up depending if I want a little more acidity (plain balsamic vinegar) or sweetness (balsamic glaze) in my lunch.
3. Seasoning - don't forget to salt and pepper your ingredients! This is a super important step that will make your sandwich super flavorful and delicious!Continue to 4 of 19 below.
04 of 19
The Cemita - A Pueblan Style Mexican Pulled Pork Sandwich
The recipe for this Cemita - A Pueblan Style Mexican Pulled Pork Sandwich is out of this world!
Similar to the torta, the Cemita is a Mexican sandwich that comes from the Puebla region of Mexico. Typically stuffed with a variety fried meats, avocado, queso, chipotles and red sauce, this sandwich is super versatile while also being super delicious.
So where does the name come from? The cemita gets its name from the type of bun that this sandwich is served on. A cemita is typically made from an eggy... batter and is topped with sesame seeds when baked. Some people scoop out the bread to better hold the ingredients, but I prefer to smush the bread down, creating a thicker surface so the sandwich can stay together better.Continue to 5 of 19 below.
05 of 19
Goat Cheese, Rosemary Ham, Apple + Honey Sandwich with Fresh Arugula
This Goat Cheese, Rosemary Ham, Apple + Honey Sandwich with Fresh Arugula is a great way to make your lunchbox more exciting!
This tasty French style sandwich with rosemary ham, goat cheese, apple, lemon and arugula is sweet, salty, spicy, and crunchy and makes the perfect lunchtime meal.
Tips and Suggestions:
1. Don't eat meat? Ditch the ham and add more apple slices and more goat cheese crumbles. Or try adding roasted carrots, pureed roasted butternut squash, or pickled beets for an... unexpected burst of awesomeness!
2. Want less carbs but still all that bread-y goodness? Try scooping the interior of the sandwich out. This not only cuts down on carbs but it also helps all the ingredients stay packed together on the sandwich so nothing will fall out as you eat it. Or try ditching the bread all together and mixing all the ingredients into a salad bowl for a beautiful guilt-free lunch.
3. This sandwich is perfect for picnics, lunch boxes, or even as an appetizer for parties! To turn this sandwich into a gorgeous crostini appetizer by slicing the baguette into coins, toasting them, then topping each round with la slice of apple, a little chunk of ham, a crumble of goat cheese and a fresh arugula leaves topped with olive oil, lemon, and salt and pepper.Continue to 6 of 19 below.
06 of 19
Best Ever Organic Turkey Bacon Ranch Sandwich Recipe
Although you might think why bother making this Best Ever Organic Turkey Bacon Ranch Sandwich. at home, it's a classic deli staple that I can get anytime, anywhere. But wait, think about it this way: When you make it at home, sourcing local, fresh, and organic ingredients, you are able to create a sandwich that not only tastes better than your local bodega staple, but you're also creating a sandwich that's better for the future.
My version of this sandwich features organic smoked... turkey, bacon from our local butcher, organic provolone sourced from Wisconsin, homemade ranch, a pretzel bun from the bakery, and locally grown tomatoes and avocados.
Want a little something extra to this sandwich? Try adding chipotle pepper paste to your ranch for a spicy twist. Pair it with good potato chips, a pickle, and an ice cold iced tea.Continue to 7 of 19 below.
07 of 19
Chimichurri Smoked Chicken Salad Sandwich with Grilled Corn and Peppadews
Check out this Chimichurri Smoked Chicken Salad Sandwich with Grilled Corn and Peppadews sandwich if you are looking for a new way to spice up chicken salad! This mouthwatering version has smoked chicken breast, zesty chimichurri, fresh grilled corn, and peppadews.Continue to 8 of 19 below.
08 of 19
Traditional Cuban Sandwich Recipe
The Cuban sandwich is packed full of salty pork, rich swiss cheese, tangy yellow mustard, and zesty dill pickles on hot and crispy cuban bread.
Since I was raised in Tampa, I can tell you that the Cuban sandwich and I have some history. It's salty, rich, and tangy and you don't have to go to Tampa, Miami or Cuba to find the perfect Cuban - with this simple and easy recipe, you can make it right at home!Continue to 9 of 19 below.
09 of 19
Salami, Mozzarella + Roasted Red Pepper Sandwich
This simple yet flavorful Italian sandwich is made with fresh mozzarella, zesty salami, sweet roasted red peppers, vibrant basil leaves and rich, buttery olive oil.
1. When choosing an olive oil for this sandwich, think of it as a flavor component, not so much as something to fry something in. Look for an extra virgin olive oil from Italy that has been cold pressed so the flavor compounds are more robust. Also, check the date. Unlike wine which gets better with age, olive oil is best when... fresh. If it's older than two years, chuck it. Smell the oil - if you get fruity, peppery, and earthy scents, you know you've picked a good, flavorful olive oil.
2. Are you a vegetarian or do you not like salami? Try swapping it out for fried eggplant, fried tempeh, prosciutto, ham, or another type of charcuterie.
3. Like it hot? Try pressing the sandwich in a panini press for a different toasty spin on this tasty sandwich. Not only will the crispiness of the bread play nicely with the stretchiness from the fresh mozzarella, but heating the salami will also help release the natural oils which makes the flavor even more rich and delicious.Continue to 10 of 19 below.
10 of 19
How to Make a Monstrous Steak Fajita Sub
Looking for a great way to use leftovers? Look no more!
This monstrous steak fajita sub will give even the biggest of eaters a run for their pesos. Crispy steak that's been marinated in salsa verde gets cooked up and added to a delicious mixture of caramelized onions, yellow bell peppers, red bell peppers, tomato, and Mexican spices. The sandwich is finished off with a vibrant burst of velvety Mexican crema, bright and zesty pico de gallo, and freshly squeezed lime juice.
Not sure what the... difference between American sour cream and Mexican crema is? The latter is much thinner and saltier than American sour cream and sort of resembles a-thinned-out version of the French's creme fraiche. It's super easy to make so if you'd like to try it out, try this Mexican Crema recipe!Continue to 11 of 19 below.
11 of 19
Roasted Chicken Caprese Sandwich with Truffle Mustard
A classic caprese sandwich is typically loaded with a bunch of fresh mozzarella, a few tomato slices, and torn basil which are then lathered with a olive oil and balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper. And although this sandwich isn't all that bad to begin with, we created a healthier version by hallowing out a whole grain baguette and adding rotisserie chicken for protein in this Roasted Chicken Caprese Sandwich.
We replaced olive oil with flavorful truffle mustard and white balsamic glaze. And... instead of the traditional fat slabs of whole milk mozzarella, we swap out tiny pearls of the fresh cheese to cut down on fat. Arugula gives the sandwich a nice peppery bite and adds a bunch of vitamins such as A, K, and C as well as folate and calcium. The tomatoes are not only a great form of antioxidants but are also packed with lycopene which helps prevent cancer. Not too shabby, huh?Continue to 12 of 19 below.
12 of 19
Muffuletta Sandwich Recipe
If you've ever visited New Orleans, you're sure to have tried an authentic muffuletta. And if you haven't been in NOLA, that doesn't have to stop you from having one of the best sandwiches in the country. Stacked high and pressed flat, this sesame seed bun sandwich features layers upon layers of beautiful mortadella, ham, salami, provolone and fresh mozzarella. The famous olive spread is full of briny goodness and makes this sandwich even more flavorful.Continue to 13 of 19 below.
13 of 19
Peanut Butter, Guava + Simple Squares Organic Protein Wrap
A New Years resolution to be fit doesn't have to be hard - especially when you have a bunch of really healthy, delicious and easy protein packed recipes to choose from. This hearty wrap is packed with tasty organic ingredients including my favorite Coconut Simple Squares bar, fresh banana, guava jam, bee pollen, local honey, granola and salty peanut butter.
Did you know that "Bee pollen is the food of the young bee and it is approximately 40% protein. It is considered one of nature's... most completely nourishing foods. It contains nearly all nutrients required by humans. About half of its protein is in the form of free amino acids that are ready to be used directly by the body." (Mercola.com).
And if you've never had a Simple Square bar, now is the time to try one! Packed with organic cashews, organic almonds, organic honey, organic unsweetened coconut, organic vanilla, sea salt these bars give you tons of dietary fiber, protein, Vitamin E and magnesium.
This sweet and salty protein wrap is perfect for breakfast or lunch and has tons of awesome health benefits that will leave you feeling full and satisfied.Continue to 14 of 19 below.
14 of 19
Vegetarian Curried "Chicken" Salad Sandwich Recipe
By swapping out chicken with aromatic tumeric and cumin roasted cauliflower, this classic curried chicken salad sandwich recipe is reinvented as a delicious vegetarian favorite. Not a fan of cauliflower? Try using the same spice recipe below for roasted sweet potatoes, grilled tofu, or crumbled tempeh.Continue to 15 of 19 below.
15 of 19
The Best Vegetarian Hummus and Pickled Vegetable Sandwich
This simple and delicious hummus and pickled vegetable sandwich is anything but boring!
Say goodbye to lifeless limp vegetables and start piling on loads of these tangy pickled veggies, some savory protein-packed hummus, and crisp, fresh produce. These veggies are just my recommendation and personal preference, but feel free to try switching up the veggies to create create a sandwich that's full of flavor and chocked full of vitamins and nutrients.
A word to the wise though - the combination... of the pickled beets and the hummus look awesome together - almost like art- but they also make this sandwich super messy so be sure to use the paper-folding technique to keep the sandwich together.
And yeah, as you could imagine from the excess pickle juice and the hummus, you probably don't want this sandwich sitting in a fridge all day, either.Continue to 16 of 19 below.
16 of 19
Chicken, Mozzarella and Avocado Sandwich
This Chicken, Mozzarella and Avocado Sandwich.is on a pretzel bun and features thinly sliced chicken alongside avocado, orange tomato, spicy pickled red onions, fresh mozzarella and honey dijon mustard.Continue to 17 of 19 below.
17 of 19
Curry Chicken Salad Sandwich Recipe
This Curry Chicken Salad Sandwich robust and flavorful curry chicken salad sandwich is made with a mixture of greek yogurt and mayonnaise so it has a much lighter taste with more health benefits than your typical calorie packed chicken salad. Greek yogurt not only provides a nice tangy bite, but it's also full of probiotics and live cultures that help aid digestion and speed up metabolism.
I recommend using this curry chicken salad as a sandwich recipe between two toasted slices of a pumpkin... bagel (for a hint of sweetness), a drizzle of Sriracha (for heat), a few cucumbers (for crunch, and lastly, a handful of kale leaves (for extra health benefits) but feel free to use it on whatever vessel you care for!Continue to 18 of 19 below.
18 of 19
Turkey and Hummus Sandwich
Beet hummus is the star of this healthy turkey sandwich. It's beautiful and vibrant pink shade lacks in comparison to its healthy attributions. Beets are loaded with a variety of nutrients and fibers that can help lower blood pressure in just a couple of hours, fight inflammation and cancer, and can help boost your immune system. When you mix the roasted beets with chick peas, which are filled with healthy fibers, protein, nutrients and vitamins, the health benefits keep multiplying.
Cracked... Pepper Turkey loads you up with even more lean-meat protein while the tomatoes add a nice healthy dose of vitamin C, D and folic acid. The feta cheese is a great source of calcium and the baby kale sprouts are a super food that help boost your brain power with the green's high level of folate. And although the bread's probably not that good for you, it helps keep everything together and it makes it taste even better!
Just a warning, this sandwich gets kind of messy over time, so if you're trying to make it in advance, I'd recommend using a baguette or another type of bread that is more dense so that the liquids from the sandwich ingredients don't seep into the bread.Continue to 19 of 19 below.
19 of 19
Spicy Carrot Hummus Vegetarian Sandwich
This Spicy Carrot Hummus Vegetarian Sandwich has homemade spicy carrot hummus and is one of my new favorite ways to spice up this classic chickpea spread. Smear it onto a toasted seeded multigrain bun and add all of your favorite crispy vegetables for an awesome take on a vegetarian sandwich.