Bacon and Fig Cheeseball is the easiest appetizer ever! And it has bacon in it, so it is obviously awesome! This cheeseball only has a few ingredients! Cream cheese, scallions, cheddar cheese, jam, and bacon are all it takes! I like using fig jam, but apricot, marmalade or raspberry would work nicely as well. You can find fig jam in the deli/fancy cheese area of the store. It's important to have the element of sweet to balance out the tartness of the cream cheese and the smokiness of the bacon! You can also make it spicy by adding diced jalapenos! Just be careful and remove some of the peppers' ribs and seeds so it's not deathly spicy, unless you like it that way of course!
This cheeseball is a pretty addition to a baby or bridal shower brunch or to any holiday brunch or party! You can make it so quickly and with many ingredients you probably already have in your house! I always buy the six pack of cream cheese containers at the wholesale store and I always use it up quickly around the holidays!
It will store well in the refrigerator for a day or too. The bacon tastes best when it is added fresh, as it stays crispier! Do not freeze this cheeseball. Cream cheese does not freeze well and will get all separated and grainy. I've tried it, it doesn't work out well!
This cheeseball always gets demolished at parties. Your family, friends, and guests are sure to love it!
- 1 package cream cheese (softened)
- 3 scallions (washed and chopped finely)
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 Tablespoon fig jam (or apricot)
- 5 slices of bacon
- 1/4 cup diced jalapenos (for the spicy version!)
- Make sure the cream cheese has been nicely softened. I leave it out on the counter for at least 30 minutes.
- Finely chop the scallions and add them and the cheddar cheese, and fig jam to the cream cheese in a nice-sized bowl. Use a spatula to stir and completely combine the mixture. Make sure the fig jam gets evenly distributed throughout the cream cheese. If you are adding jalapenos, also add them now!
- Form the cheese into a large ball using slightly wet hands. Leave it to rest in the bowl, or place covered in the refrigerator.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Cook the bacon on a cooling rack over a cookie sheet, until crisp. Or use precooked bacon.
- Chop the bacon finely. Let it cool slightly. Roll the cheese ball in the chopped bacon. Place on a serving tray and surround with butter crackers, or any cracker of your choice!