Crispy bacon, fried green tomatoes, tangy remoulade sauce, and refreshing iceberg lettuce bring this BLT to new heights. You may be thinking to yourself, why change something that's already perfect? And I get it - BLTs are basically God's gift to the sandwich world but it's easy to make it even better. You've probably had an upgraded BLT with a runny fried egg or creamy avocado and that's good and all but try swapping out regular sliced red tomatoes for crispy fried green tomatoes, and BAM! This sandwich just got so, so, SO much better!
- First, mix up your remoulade and set it aside, covered in the fridge.
- In a small cast iron skillet, fry your green tomatoes and set aside on a paper towel to help removed some of the excess grease.
- While the fried green tomatoes are cooking, start your bacon. I recommending using another cast iron to cook the bacon, cooking it slow and low, making sure to reserve the grease.
- As for the bread You can either follow the link to the recipe above or you can just use some nice Texas toast. Once you have it picked out, begin by toasting your bread in the bacon grease for a few minutes on each side until it starts to get crispy and golden brown.
- Next, smear half the remoulade onto both slices of bread - be careful that bacon grease gets hot! Then take one slice of bread and add the fried green tomatoes, equally spaced apart, then the bacon which I recommend crumbling so that each bite is consistent.
- Add the iceberg lettuce and top with the remaining slice of remoulade lathered bread. Slice down the middle and serve immediately.