Bacon wrapped sausages are easy to make and perfect for a special brunch or breakfast. Or make them for an appetizer party. This recipe is for meat lovers! The combination of bacon with smoked sausages and brown sugar is mouthwatering.
We have tried this recipe with the precooked bacon in the supermarket and it doesn't work as well. The bacon needs to be only very partially cooked to work properly. It needs to meld with the little sausages as it cooks.
This simple four-ingredient recipe is perfect for entertaining, especially at the holidays. The sweet and salty taste is delicious and will please everyone except vegetarians!
- 3/4 pound regular bacon
- 1 pound package small smoked sausages
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Cut the bacon slices in half crosswise to make short strips. Fry the bacon in a large pan over medium heat until some of the fat is rendered but the bacon is still pliable; do not let the bacon get crisp.
- Cool the bacon for five minutes on paper towels, then wrap each sausage with a piece of the precooked bacon.
- Roll each little sausage and bacon bundle in brown sugar, fasten with a toothpick, and place on a wire rack. Place the rack in a 13" x 9" baking pan lined with foil or parchment paper.
- Drizzle the maple syrup over the sausages and sprinkle with the pepper.
- Bake the bacon wrapped sausages for 25 to 35 minutes or until the sausages are hot and the bacon is crisp. Remove the rack from the baking pan and cool the wrapped sausage bundles for 4 to 5 minutes before serving.
- It's important to use the wire rack because the drippings that come from the bacon and sugar burn easily. You want to keep the little sausages out of the drippings so they don't burn too.