These chicken breasts are marinated in a combination of sour cream, lemon juice, and garlic. The chicken is then coated with bread crumbs and baked to tender perfection. The sour cream marinade makes the chicken moist and tender. Feel free to replace the sour cream with buttermilk or Greek yogurt. Add a few teaspoons of hot sauce—Texas Pete's, Frank's, etc.—to the sour cream for a bit of heat. A dash of cayenne pepper or spicy Creole or Cajun seasoning is another good option.
The sour cream and garlic marinade adds flavor to the chicken breasts as well, and it is super easy to fix and bake. If you are looking for a new way to bake chicken breasts, this recipe is an excellent choice.
According to the American Heart Association, a serving size of chicken is about 3 ounces. If the chicken breasts are large, you might want to slice them in half horizontally to make thinner cutlets. If you use chicken cutlets or thinned chicken breasts in the recipe, check for doneness after about 25 minutes.
Feel free to replace the fine dry breadcrumbs with cornflake crumbs, or use panko crumbs for a crunchier coating. For some extra flavor, add a 3 to 4 tablespoons of grated Parmesan cheese to the crumbs mixture.
Serve the chicken breasts with roasted potatoes or fries and steamed vegetables for a satisfying family meal.
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice (juice of 1 lemon)
- 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon ground paprika
- 1 clove garlic, mashed and minced (or more)
- 1/4 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 4 to 6 boneless chicken breast halves
- 1 1/2 cups dry breadcrumbs (plain)
- In a nonreactive container or bowl, combine the sour cream, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, paprika, garlic, seasoned salt, and pepper. Place the chicken breast pieces in the bowl and turn them to coat thoroughly. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Heat the oven to 350 F (180 C/Gas 4). Line a shallow rimmed baking sheet with foil and then lightly grease the foil or spray it with nonstick cooking spray.
- Put the bread crumbs in a wide, shallow bowl.
- Remove the chicken breasts from the sour cream mixture and coat the pieces thoroughly with the breadcrumbs.
- Arrange the coated chicken in the prepared baking pan.
- Bake the chicken in the preheated oven for 35 to 45 minutes, or until it is tender and the juices run clear. The safe minimum temperature for chicken is 165 F (74 C). To check for doneness, insert a reliable instant-read thermometer into the thickest chicken breast.
- If the chicken breasts are very large or quite thin, adjust the cooking time accordingly. Check thin chicken breasts after about 25 to 30 minutes.
Tips and Variations
- Drizzle the breaded chicken with a few tablespoons of melted butter before you put it in the oven.