In this easy chicken and spinach bake, the boneless chicken breasts are simply baked on a bed of spinach with a tomato and green onion topping.
The dish is also easy to adapt with your family's favorite ingredients or the ingredients you have on hand. Several people commented that they replaced the tomatoes and onions with mild or medium salsa, and one person used picante sauce with excellent results. Other people used diced canned tomatoes, and others topped the dish off with grated Parmesan cheese.
- 12 to 16 ounces fresh spinach, washed and chopped
- freshly ground black pepper and kosher salt
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 4 chicken breast halves
- Creole or Cajun seasoning blend or another seasoning blend
- 1 large tomato, cored, seeded, and diced
- 4 green onions, with green, sliced
- grated Parmesan or mozzarella cheese, optional
- Heat oven to 350 F.
- Lightly grease a 9-by-13-by-2-inch baking pan or spray the pan with cooking spray.
- Put the fresh spinach in the baking dish and then sprinkle with salt and pepper. Add chicken broth.
- Place the chicken pieces between sheets of plastic wrap and pound lightly, just until they are even in thickness.
- Sprinkle chicken with seasoning blend, and pepper. If the seasoning blend is salt-free, sprinkle lightly with kosher salt. Arrange the chicken over the spinach and then sprinkle with the diced tomato and green onion.
- Cover the baking dish with foil.
- Bake the chicken and spinach for 25 minutes. Uncover and bake for 10 to 15 minutes longer, or until chicken is cooked a temperature of at least 165 F.
- If desired, top the chicken and tomato mixture with fresh grated Parmesan cheese or shredded mozzarella about 5 minutes before the dish is done.
Tips and Variations
- Instead of the diced tomato and green onions, use about 1 cup of fresh salsa (mild or medium).
- Use canned diced tomatoes instead of fresh tomatoes.
- Replace the Creole or Cajun seasoning with spicy blackened seasoning.
- Top with about 1/2 to 1 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese 10 minutes before the dish is done.
- Top the chicken with Parmesan cheese before serving.
- To make the dish with bone-in
- With bone-in chicken pieces with skin: Heat 2 to 3 tablespoons of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Place the chicken pieces in the hot oil, skin-side down. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes, or until the skin is browned. Turn and brown for 2 minutes longer. Arrange the chicken pieces on the spinach, skin-side up. Cook
You Might Also Like