This is an easy and great tasting recipe made with chicken breasts, zucchini, and tomatoes, cooked in dry sherry and topped with gooey, melted cheese. You can use mozzarella cheese, Cheddar cheese, or a combination of both. Fontina cheese would be very good as well. This hearty but healthy chicken dish is perfect over pasta or rice. Pair with a simple tossed salad for a complete and satisfying family meal.
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- Kosher salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 4 boneless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 small zucchini (halved and sliced)
- 8 ounces mushrooms (sliced)
- Optional: 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 1/3 cup dry sherry, white wine, or chicken broth
- 1 (14- to 15-ounce) can diced tomatoes, or use about 2 cups diced fresh tomato
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella or Cheddar cheese, or a combination
- Heat the oven to 325 F (165 C).
- Season flour with salt and pepper. Dredge chicken pieces in flour mixture.
- In a heavy oven-proof skillet over medium-high heat, heat the olive oil; add chicken pieces to hot oil, turning to brown both sides. Remove chicken to a plate.
- Add the zucchini and mushrooms to the pan and saute for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the garlic, if using, and cook, stirring, for 1 minute longer.
- Add chicken pieces back into skillet. Pour sherry over all; cook another 4 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper; top with tomatoes.
- Transfer the pan to the oven. Bake for about 25 to 35 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
- Top with shredded cheese and bake just a few minutes until melted.
- Serve this tasty chicken over hot cooked pasta with a salad.
Tips and Variations
This is the type of recipe that adjusts well to changes and additions. You don't care for mushrooms? Then leave out. A fan of eggplant? It would be delicious in this baked chicken dish. And if you'd like to keep this recipe healthier and lighter, skip the cheese at the end—no one will miss it.
If you and your family enjoyed this recipe, you may want to try some others that are in the same vein. Chicken and zucchini skillet with pasta combines purchased Alfredo sauce with a bit of Cajun spice to add a creamy twist with a kick to this chicken and vegetable bake. And with just a few ingredients, you can have a cheesy chicken and mushroom dish on the table in no time with chicken breasts with mozzarella cheese or chicken breasts with bacon and cheese.