Why work hard when you don't have to? You can enjoy great tasting gefilte fish without spending all day in the kitchen. Simply buy a frozen gefilte fish loaf, cover with tomato sauce, and bake. Baked gefilte fish in tomato sauce is an easy and delicious Shabbos appetizer.
- 1 loaf gefilte fish, frozen
- 1 can tomato sauce
- Preheat the oven to 375 F (190 C).
- Let the loaf defrost for about 10 minutes, just enough so you can unwrap it from the paper.
- Pour half of a can of tomato sauce into a loaf pan. Place the gefilte fish loaf on top of the sauce.
- Pour the rest of the tomato sauce on top of the fish loaf. Cover with aluminum foil.
- Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Cool, and then refrigerate covered.
- Serve slices of the fish, cold, on top of lettuce.
Variation: Lightly saute an onion and place it on top of the tomato sauce and fish.