Baked Grilled Cheese Pesto Sandwiches are so delicious and easy to make. Instead of standing over a hot stove, bake your grilled cheese sandwiches in the oven!
To make these particular sandwiches, I think that Brownberry Whole Wheat Bread is the best choice; in fact, it's the best for any grilled cheese sandwich. The bread is light enough so it doesn't overwhelm the cheese, but it has the best flavor with a nice crunch when it's grilled.
You can use your favorite cheese in this easy sandwich. Serve with a simple green salad tossed with mushrooms and avocados.
- 8 slices whole wheat bread
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 8 thin slices Swiss, Muenster, Colby or Cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup basil pesto
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Spread the butter on only one side of each slice of the bread, spreading more thickly around the edges and less in the center. This will prevent the edges from burning before the center is crisp.
- Place half of the bread slices, buttered side down, on the work surface. Top each piece of bread with a slice of cheese, a tablespoon of pesto, then another slice of cheese. Top with the remaining bread slices, buttered side up.
- Place the sandwiches on heavy-duty jelly roll pan.
- Bake for 4 minutes, then remove the pan from the oven. Immediately turn the oven up to 450°F. Carefully turn the sandwiches using a large spatula.
- Bake for another 3 to 4 minutes, watching the sandwiches carefully until the bread is toasted and crisp and the cheese is melted.
- The first time you flip these sandwiches, they won't look done at all - the bread will be only slightly brown. But when the sandwiches are done, they will be beautifully crisp and brown on both sides. Serve immediately.
You can, of course, omit the pesto for a pure grilled cheese sandwich experience. Still, use the two slices of cheese instead of one thick piece - I find that melts better.