These barbecue chicken leg quarters are cooked to perfection in the oven. Pineapple and purchased barbecue sauce are combined to make the easy, flavorful sauce. Serve these tasty chicken legs with rice and your favorite vegetable side dish or a salad. This is an excellent way to use whole chicken legs or leg quarters.
the recipe is easily scaled up for a larger family or a crowd.
Feel free to add crystallized ginger for extra flavor, or use about 1 teaspoon of ginger paste or fresh grated ginger.
- 4 to 6 chicken leg quarters
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 can (8 ounces) crushed pineapple, undrained
- 1 cup barbecue sauce, spicy or mild, your favorite
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 to 1 1/2 tablespoons cold water
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon minced crystallized or candied ginger, optional
- Heat the oven to 325 F.
- Sprinkle the chicken pieces with salt and pepper.
- Heat the oil In a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken pieces and cook, turning to brown all sides.
- Arrange the browned chicken in an 11-by-7-inch baking dish (or larger).
- Combine remaining pineapple and barbecue sauce in a small bowl.
- Combine the flour and cold water in a cup and stir to form a smooth paste. Stir into the barbecue sauce mixture along with the ground ginger and candied ginger, if using.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken pieces.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 1 to 1 1/2 hours, or until chicken is very tender and juices run clear.
- Baste with sauce occasionally while the chicken is baking.
Serves 4 to 6.