This baked macaroni and cheese casserole is easy to make with cheddar cheese and eggs along with milk and butter. There's no separate sauce to make for this version, making cleanup much easier than other versions. Eggs and milk are whisked together and then combined with the cooked macaroni, butter, and shredded cheese. The eggs give the mixture a soft and creamy texture. Feel free to use a gluten-free macaroni in the recipe.
It's a simple, homey recipe that lends itself to many possible variations. Feel free to add crumbled bacon or diced ham, or change the cheese. Add some Velveeta to the cheddar cheese or use some Monterey Jack cheese. And a buttery bread crumb topping makes for a nice crunchy finish.
This easy macaroni and cheese bake takes about 30 minutes to bake and serves 4 to 6 people.
- 2 cups elbow macaroni (uncooked; about 8 ounces)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 1/2 cups Cheddar cheese (shredded, divided)
- salt to taste (kosher)
- black pepper to taste
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- Optional: paprika, for the top
- Preheat the oven to 350 F (180 C/Gas 4). Grease an 8-inch square baking pan.
- Cook macaroni in boiling salted water, following package directions. Drain well and return the pasta to the pot. Add butter and stir until melted. Add 2 cups of the shredded cheese. Taste and add salt and pepper, as needed.
- In a medium bowl, whisk eggs with the milk. Add the milk mixture to the macaroni. Stir until well combined.
- Spoon into the greased pan. Sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup cheese on top. Sprinkle with paprika, if using.
- Bake, uncovered, for 30 minutes or until the cheese has melted and browned and casserole is cooked through.
Tips and Variations
- Macaroni and Cheese Casserole With Bacon - Crumble 4 to 6 strips of cooked bacon and add to the macaroni and cheese mixture. Spoon into the baking dish and proceed with the recipe.
- Macaroni and Cheese Casserole With Ham - Add 1 to 2 cups of diced cooked ham to the macaroni and cheese mixture. Spoon into the prepared baking dish and proceed with the recipe.
- Macaroni and Cheese With Chile Peppers - Add a few tablespoons of minced jalapeno peppers or add 1 small can of mild chopped green chile peppers.
- Bread Crumb Topping - For a crunchy, browned topping, toss 1 cup of finely shredded fresh bread crumbs with 2 tablespoons of butter. Sprinkle over the macaroni and cheese and then bake as directed.