Sausage makes this a hearty macaroni and cheese, perfect for an everyday family meal. Use your favorite bulk sausage to make this easy one-pot meal. Use Italian sausage or a mild, country-style bulk sausage.
For extra color and flavor, add some cooked mixed vegetables or peas and carrots to the casserole mixture before baking.
- 8 ounces macaroni, uncooked
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped green or red bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese, divided
- Heat the oven to 400 F.
- Lightly grease a 1 1/2-quart casserole dish.
- Cook the macaroni in boiling salted water following package directions; drain and set aside.
- In a skillet, saute the sausage, onion, and green bell pepper, stirring, until the sausage is no longer pink. Pour off excess fat.
- Add the flour and salt to the sausage mixture, blending well. Gradually add milk. Continue to cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until the sauce has thickened. Stir in the cooked and drained macaroni and 1 cup of the shredded Cheddar cheese.
- Transfer macaroni and sausage casserole mixture to the prepared casserole.
- Sprinkle remaining cheese over sausage casserole and bake in the preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes.
Tips and Variations
- Instead of Italian sausage, use a mild breakfast sausage or a turkey sausage blend. Ham would be good in this macaroni and cheese as well.
- Add some lightly sauteed sliced mushrooms to the macaroni and cheese along with the bell pepper.