This simple, tasty baked chicken is flavored with pineapple, candied ginger, and green onions. The recipe is made with chicken parts. Use fresh or canned pineapple slices or pineapple chunks in this recipe.
This can be made with chicken thighs as well. For crispy skin, brown the chicken pieces in a small amount of oil on the stovetop first.
Mississippi Oven Fried Chicken
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crumbled
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 to 4 pounds chicken parts or split breasts
- 10 to 12 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 cup pineapple juice
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped candied (crystallized) ginger
- 4 pineapple slices, cut in half
- Heat the oven to 375 F (190 C/Gas 5). Line a large, shallow baking pan with foil or spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- Combine the salt, pepper, and rosemary; rub the mixture on the chicken parts to coat thoroughly.
- Place the chicken in the prepared baking pan and sprinkle with the chopped green onions.
- Mix the pineapple juice and candied ginger and pour over all.
- Bake, uncovered, for about 45 to 55 minutes, or until chicken is done. Baste with juices several times.
- About 10 to 15 minutes before the chicken is done, top it with the pineapple slices.
- Serve the chicken with hot cooked rice and green beans or steamed broccoli.
Crispy Skin Chicken Rub the salt, pepper, and rosemary over the chicken pieces. Heat 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil in a heavy skillet over medium heat. Place the chicken pieces in the hot oil and cook, turning, until the skin is browned and crispy. Place the chicken in the prepared baking pan and proceed with the recipe.
You Might Also Like