This zucchini is stuffed with a simple mixture of seasoned bread crumbs and butter.
To get more vegetables in the stuffing and for more color, saute some shredded carrot or celery along with the onion and garlic.
- 2 medium zucchini, about 1 pound
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 2 cups soft bread cubes
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- salt and pepper
- Heat the oven to 350 F.
- Grease a shallow baking dish large enough to hold the zucchini halves.
- Wash the zucchini well.
- Put the whole zucchini in a saucepan and add an inch or two of water. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover the pan, and cook about 8 minutes.
- Drain the zucchini and cut lengthwise to make two halves. Scoop out the pulp, leaving enough shell to hold up with stuffing. Chop the removed pulp and set aside.
- Melt the butter in a heavy skillet over medium-low heat, Cook the garlic and onion until onion is translucent; stir in chopped zucchini pulp, bread cubes, poultry seasoning, salt, and pepper.
- Stuff the zucchini halves with the bread stuffing mixture.
- Place the zucchini in the prepared baking dish and bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes, or until zucchini is tender.
Makes four stuffed zucchini boats.