Korean barbecue without the meat? This Korean BBQ tofu recipe boasts some big flavors with the health benefits of protein-packed tofu.
Korean barbecue sauce makes an excellent marinade for baked Korean BBQ tofu -- just thin it out a bit with water. Don't have any Korean barbecue sauce on hand, but craving that unique spicy, salty and sweet combination that only Korean food can provide? Try this Korean barbecue sauce-inspired marinade for baked tofu. It is vegetarian and vegan, and, if you use a gluten-free soy sauce, it is gluten- and wheat-free, too.
Amounts provided are approximate, so feel free to adjust to your liking. Scroll down for more easy ways to make baked tofu. New to cooking with tofu? Try this Korean BBQ Tofu recipe first -- it's so scrumptious you may want to try tofu in more recipes.
- 3 tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 tbsp. rice vinegar
- 3 cloves garlic, minced fine and crushed
- 2 tbsp. ketchup, hoisin sauce or barbecue sauce
- 1 tbsp. maple syrup
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1 tbsp. sesame oil
- 2 tsp. hot sauce, or to taste (I used Sriracha sauce)
- 1 extra-firm block tofu, well-pressed and cut into cubes, triangles or slabs
- First, prepare the tofu. Like most vegan tofu recipes, this one will taste best if you press the tofu first. Pressing allows the tofu to absorb more of the flavorings and seasonings which you add to it. Not sure how to do that? See this easy step-by-step guide on how to press tofu.
- Whisk together all the ingredients except for the tofu to form a marinade.
- Place the tofu in a wide shallow container and cover with marinade, making sure each piece of tofu is coated well. Allow tofu to marinade for at least 20 minutes.
- Pre-heat oven to 375 F.
- Lightly grease a baking sheet with non-stick spray or use a bit of oil, any kind, if you don't have non-stick spray.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, then use a spatula to turn the tofu pieces over and bake for another 8 to 10 minutes. Tofu pieces should be lightly crisped and not soft and squishy, but not charred.
- Serve Korean BBQ tofu.
Like this recipe?
Loving this vegetarian and vegan tofu recipe? Here are some more incredible things you can do with tofu:
- Vegetarian tofu stir-fries
- Recipes using silken tofu
- A complete list of tofu recipes
- What is the nutritional value of tofu?
About Korean BBQ Sauce
Typically, Korean BBQ sauce is made from combining soy sauce, garlic, brown sugar, rice wine vinegar, chile-garlic sauce, ginger, sesame oil, and black pepper. Depending on where you go, there are different variations of this sauce. Don't expect it to taste like the typical bottled barbecue sauce -- Korean barbecue sauce has a taste all its own.