These balsamic and brown sugar glazed beets are easy and tasty with sweet-sour flavor. Fresh beets are simmered with a mixture of brown sugar, butter and balsamic vinegar.
You may make these beets with canned beets as well. See the tips and variations below the recipe.
- 7 to 9 beets, peeled and quartered or sliced
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Combine beets with water, brown sugar, vinegar and butter. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium and continue simmering, uncovered, for about 1 hour, or until beets are tender and most of the liquid has boiled away.
Tips and Variations
- To make the recipe with canned beets, drain 2 cans (15 ounces each) of beets, reserving 1/2 cup of the liquid. Put the beets, liquid, and the brown sugar, balsamic vinegar, and butter in a saucepan. Bring to a boil and continue simmering, uncovered, until the glaze mixture has reduced and thickened, about 20 to 30 minutes.
- You might also like this recipe for golden beets with balsamic and brown sugar dressing, or these classic Harvard beets. If you have an abundance of fresh beets, consider these classic pickled beets.