In this easy grilled beet root recipe, you'll marinate beets in a simple herbed balsamic vinaigrette dressing before sticking them on a heated grill for a delicious and healthy barbecued side dish perfect for vegetarians and vegans, or as a veggie burger topper. Grilled beets have a lovely flavor profile which is slightly naturally sweet, with a touch of caramel as the beets get charred on the grill. Add the balsamic vinegar and some fresh herbs, as in this recipe, and you've got a dish bursting with a myriad of flavors fresh off your outdoor or indoor grill.
These easy balsamic barbecued beets are vegetarian, vegan, and gluten-free. Eat your barbecued beets as is, or add them to a green salad or even a pasta salad. For an appetizer, top them or pair them with a smooth goat cheese, perhaps, or a crumbly blue cheese. If you really like beets, you might even use these grilled beets as a veggie patty and make burgers, but I like them just as they are as a side dish, maybe with a touch of salt and pepper.
Need more meat-free grilling ideas? See this complete list of vegetarian barbecue recipes to try, or scroll down for a few more favorites.
- 1/3 cup 1 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 1/2 tsp. rosemary
- 1/4 tsp. savory
- 1/4 tsp. basil
- 1/4 tsp. sage
- 1/4 tsp. thyme
- 1/4 tsp. marjoram
- 4 large beets (cleaned, scrubbed, and sliced into 1/2 inch thick circles)
- First, prepare your beets. Whether or not you peel them is up to you, but most people don't like the rough skins. Just like potatoes, you'll need to rinse and scrub your beets well, especially if you decide not to peel them.
- Once your beets are cleaned and scrubbed and sliced, you can move on to the next step.
- In a wide flat dish, whisk together all the ingredients except the beets and 1 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar until well combined.
- Place the beets in the dish, coating well with the vinegar and allow to marinate for at least one hour.
- Wrap beets in foil, drizzling with extra marinade and folding the foil to seal well. Grill for 20 to 25 minutes, or until beets are soft.
- Remove beets from foil and place directly on the grill for another minute or two.
- Drizzle your beets with additional balsamic vinegar just before serving or perhaps use a balsamic reduction sauce for a nice presentation if you happen to have one ready to go.