Bamboo cabinets are a very small segment of the kitchen and bath cabinet industry. But it's slowly growing. Here we offering some basics about bamboo cabinets, as well as a list of companies that offer these products.
01 of 06
Bamboo has become a popular material in the last decade or so. But mainly bamboo flooring is the star of the show. What about cabinets?
Buyers have the perception that bamboo is more environmentally stable than other choices, such as hardwood or tile. This is true in one sense because bamboo does not involve deforestation (it's a type of grass). But bamboo also has downsides, including some clear-cutting of forests to provide growing space for the bamboo; political implications (as most come... from China); and the use of formaldehyde in the production of bamboo products.
Additionally, bamboo is a beautiful material. With a clear coating, bamboo had a warm, luminous glow that adds radiance to a kitchen or bathroom.
02 of 06
Do They All Have a Natural Finish?
Natural finish tends to be the most popular for bamboo cabinets, in only because bamboo has such a lovely striated appearance. The darker stain would cover up most of the bamboo's unique look. But, yes, dark-stained bamboo cabinets are available.
03 of 06
Are They Solid Bamboo?
Yes and no. Typically, the visible areas, such as doors, drawers, and panels, will be made of bamboo ply. The cabinet "boxes" (the cabinets' superstructure) will likely be made of furniture-grade plywood, the same as other quality kitchen cabinets.
04 of 06
What Sizes Are Available?
Because the demand is so low, you will find an adequate, but not huge, the range of cabinet sizes. Leading bamboo cabinet supplier Mr. Bamboo offers 9 base cabinets, 7 upper wall cabinets, 2 pantries, and a wall oven cabinet. The largest base cabinet is 36"W x 34-1/2"H x 24"D. The largest wall cabinet is 36"W x 42"H x 12" D.Continue to 5 of 6 below.
05 of 06
What Styles Are Available?
Bamboo cabinets come in slab-door and Shaker-style forms. Slab doors have no bevels or raised panels. Bevels would be impossible to cut into the doors since this is essential "bamboo plywood." Cutting into the plywood would expose the plies. Grasswood Cabinets is one of the few distributors I have seen offering Shaker-style bamboo cabinets. Shaker-style has a low "picture frame" around the perimeter of the door.
06 of 06
Where Can I Buy Them?
Not many places. But here are a few places where we have found bamboo cabinet manufacturers and distributors.
- Eco Cabinets: Eco Cabinets in the only actual maker of bamboo cabinets on this list; everyone else distributes. An excellent site for great pictures.
- BambooCabinets.com: Serving only the San Francisco, CA Bay area, with no online ordering possible.
- Kitchen Cabinet Discounts LLC: Bamboo cabinets are offered, but the website doesn't show much of them. No online ordering is possible.
- RTA... Kitchen Cabinets: This company offers EcoCabinets in RTA, or ready-to-assemble, form. At this point, they offer 8 different types of bamboo cabinets. Be sure to read our profile of RTA Cabinet Store.
- Mr. Bamboo: Mr. Bamboo advertises solid bamboo cabinets, "through and through." Unfortunately, this is another non-informative site that makes ordering difficult.
- Green Tech Cabinetry: Check out this site, if only to get a closer look at how attractive bamboo cabinets can be (good graphics). Online ordering is not available, and they do not provide a list of retailers.
- Grasswood Cabinets: An attractive site with excellent pictures of bamboo cabinets. You cannot order directly from Grasswood.