This barley and mushroom casserole is a tasty side dish, and it goes particularly well with grilled steaks or roast beef. The mushrooms give the barley earthy flavor. It's made with the addition of chicken stock, but vegetable broth or mushroom broth may be used for a vegetarian dish.
Use plain button mushrooms, portobello, or a wild mushroom assortment.
For serving, add a grating of Parmesan cheese, or top it with some shredded mozzarella cheese, fontina, or queso blanco just before the casserole comes out of the oven.
- 1/4 cup butter
- 8 ounces fresh sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup medium barley
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, or to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups chicken stock (low sodium or unsalted)
- Heat the oven to 350 F (180 C/Gas 4). Butter a 2 1/2 to 3-quart casserole.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-low heat; add mushrooms and chopped onion. Sauté until lightly browned.
- Add the minced garlic and cook for another minute.
- Add the barley and cook, stirring, until slightly browned.
- Add salt and pepper and then turn into the prepared casserole.
- Pour the chicken broth into the skillet and heat until hot.
- Pour the broth over the barley mixture and mix well.
- Cover and bake in the preheated oven for 1 1/2 hours, or until barley is tender.
- Check the barley occasionally and add more broth or water if needed.
Tips and Variations
- Add some browned and well-drained ground beef to the barley for a hearty one-pot meal.
- Use seasoned salt instead of kosher salt.