The crock pot makes everyday meals a breeze to prepare and cook, and this basic beef stew is a good example. All you have to do is combine everything in the crock pot and press the start button; the slow cooker does the rest!
Feel free to change the recipe up to suit your taste. Add some diced rutabaga or turnip along with the potatoes. Or add some fresh or frozen green beans about an hour before the stew is ready for some extra color and flavor.
- Cut the beef into 1-inch cubes.
- Peel the carrots and slice them into 1/2-inch rounds.
- Peel the potatoes and cut them into 1-inch cubes.
- Peel the onions and cut them into quarters.
- Combine the beef and vegetables in the slow cooker.
- In a bowl, combine the beef stock, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, bay leaf, pepper, and paprika. Taste and add salt, as needed. Pour the mixture over the beef and vegetables.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 to 10 hours or on high for about 4 to 5 hours.
This beef stew does not require any pre-cooking. However, searing the beef will give the stew extra flavor, texture, and color. If you have time, heat about 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil in a skillet over high heat and sear the beef. After the beef is seared, transfer it to the crock pot along with the remaining vegetables and deglaze the skillet with the beef stock. Scrape up and browned bits in the bottom of the skillet and then pour the contents over the beef and vegetables. Add the remaining ingredients and cook on the low or high setting as directed.