This basic coleslaw is made with a tangy mayonnaise dressing and celery salt. Sugar is added to sweeten the dressing, and one shredded carrot adds color.
Serve this tasty coleslaw with pulled pork or summer meals, or take it along to a potluck. It's wonderful with fried chicken or fish and chips, too!
If you have a food processor, use it to shred the cabbage and carrot, or slice or chop the cabbage by hand. See the tips and variations for how to shred cabbage by hand and a few flavor ideas.
- 6 cups shredded or chopped cabbage
- 1 carrot, shredded
- 2/3 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons vinegar (cider vinegar or white vinegar)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 1/2 tablespoons sugar, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Toss cabbage in a large bowl with the carrots.
- In a bowl, whisk together the remaining ingredients. Pour the mixture over the cabbage and carrots and toss to coat thoroughly.
- Refrigerate until serving time.
Tips and Variations
- To shred the cabbage by hand, place it on its core and cut it into wedges. Cut each wedge into thin slices crosswise.
- Add about 1/4 cup of crumbled bacon to the coleslaw.
- Add a cup of shredded purple cabbage for extra color.
- Add about 1/2 teaspoon of onion powder to the dressing mixture.
- The sugar may be replaced with an artificial sweetener. I sometimes use a drop or two of EZ-Sweetz (liquid sucralose).
You Might Also Like